It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2012, 02:25 AM   #1
(male)

Jrhh111 HB User
Scary, unwanted thoughts

Hello,

This might belong under a depression or anxiety heading, but there are OCD tendencies in my family so this seems most appropriate.

I had a series of panic attacks a few weeks ago and don't seem to be recovering well. I keep getting weird, obsessive thoughts that the external world isn't real and that I'm truly alone in my mind, or that my life is just a dream and I don't know it. Other times I think I am going to hell for eternity. When I'm not having these thoughts I reflect on them and worry that something is going wrong with me mentally. I know these thoughts aren't real, but sometimes they feel real, which is really scary. Has anyone had this? Is it stress related? Is there anything in particular that helps? Thanks.

Joe

Old 02-07-2012, 06:20 AM   #2
(female)

Natylixious HB User
Re: Scary, unwanted thoughts

Hi!, your not alone.
This happens to me constantly, ive always had this constantly hair playing since i was 3 years old and started to get worst and worst but thanks god i just found out that im not the only one with this type of problems, and that this is the problem to all my mental issues, one part of this whole mental thing that im having problems with is that i get into this state of mind where i cant tell the difference of whether am i really alive or do i really exist, what am i, and another one is getting wayy too deep to the point where i lose it when i start thinking about god, the end of the world, the meaning of life, and constanly having thoughts about death, this is really frustrating and imma treat myself ASAP cuz its getting even worst day by day and has take over me.... You are not alone!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB User

I have had those thoughts but when I started journaling they seemed to go away. Putting a rubberband on my wrist and snapping it when the thoughts started had me thinking good thoughts on the spot.

I hope you get help because its no fun when thoughts take over a persons world.

Take Care.

~Belle~

Old 02-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
(male)

Jrhh111 HB User

Thanks for the responses. I think all of you are right. I've also found that faith in God is an antidote to these out of control thoughts and feelings.

Peace be with you all.

The following user gives a hug of support to Jrhh111:
Natylixious (02-07-2012)
Old 04-02-2012, 05:14 AM   #5
(female)

toomuchworry HB User

Hi, I am currently having the same thoughts about the external world not being real and I'm only living in my mind and it is really scaring me because I can't get any reassurance because my mind keeps telling me nothing is real. I am also suffering from depersonalisation and derealisation so it just makes things worse, I was wondering if you have gotten over these thoughts and if so how?

Old 04-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
(male)

Jrhh111 HB User

I've erased this message and replaced it with another, below.

Last edited by Jrhh111; 04-03-2012 at 01:11 PM.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
(male)

Jrhh111 HB User

toomuchworry: I've found the thoughts do not go away by any force of will, however, they tend to subside when I am engaged in work of some kind. Faith in a loving God also helps keep me grounded. I think it takes time and patience, and a willingness to re-engage with the world as if everything is normal. If the thoughts begin to interfere with your functioning, it might be necessary to talk with a mental health professional about your options. I hope you feel better soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jrhh111 For This Useful Post:
toomuchworry (04-03-2012)
Old 04-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #8
(female)

toomuchworry HB User

Thank you for responding to this, I really feel like I'm going mad. I am planning on talking to a mental health professional soon. I know that this thought is just a silly one like all the others I have had but it's like my OCD has finally found something that I can't get reassurance from anyone about. I feel that when the depersonalization lifts maybe I'll realise my thought is completely irrational. The thoughts do also stop me getting on with my life because I'm so anxious about it all the time

Old 04-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #9
(male)

Andy777 HB User

I too recognize this. I used to get it mainly in the morning.

I remember one morning standing, looking in the fridge and suddenly thinking "none of this feels real" But for me it was surreal like I was in some kind of dream. I didn't panic simply got on with what I knew I should be doing, all the time thinking "this is not real"

It really did feel like I was in the Matrix films. I know that sounds flippant but it was the only way I can describe it. And how I dealt with it at the time.

I came to terms with it and I don't get moments like anymore. I my case I think is was unrecognized stress that was causing it - it's funny how you don't realise just how stressed you are until you no longer so stressed out.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-11-2012 at 05:15 PM.

Closed Thread