It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
(female)

Kesava HB User
Techniques I have found useful with my intrusive ocd thoughts

I used to have really bad ocd thoughts where I would hardly be able to do anything all day.. it was so bad. I would get ocd about anything, from sexual things, to religious topics, threatening thoughts, thoughts that all my bad intrusive thoughts may cause people harm, really mean intrusive thoughts about people, self harm thoughts, suicidal thoughts, the list goes on.

Oneday I got given a round of chanting beads and a bead bag, and everyday I chanted so many rounds on these beads and I found a dramatic improvement straight away and got better week by week with the odd upset but nothing like I had, had.

I would chant praise Jesus Christ on the beads and the Maha mantra. But I guess if you would like to try you could try chanting the name of God you are comfortable with. It was useful using the beads as if your mind tried to take you away you could say.. ' no i have to do so many rounds, only then can i finish'.

im just stating a technique which helped me.

Me chanting so many rounds everyday strengthened my mind, as my mind when chanting couldnt keep obsessing over things and became peaceful on the words after a while. Also I found through the day it acted as a strengthening agent to the mind so I found it easier to dismiss ocd thoughts if by chance they did come... or when they appeared I could start chanting to counteract the ocd thoughts,.

Maybe you can give it a go as it worked for me and I was an extremely bad case .. now I am not that bad... just have reocurring thoughts every now and then.

All the best

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kesava For This Useful Post:
decipheringlife (02-14-2012), ndh3 (03-03-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
(male)

db851 HB Userdb851 HB Userdb851 HB User
Re: Techniques I have found useful with my intrusive ocd thoughts

Well thats interesting, and good to hear. I have some similar thoughts that just recently appeared. Did you ever act on any of those thoughts when the symptoms were at their worst, or did they just basically affect your quality of life? Mine don't seem that bad, but I fear that they could get worse, so I'm taking whatever steps are necessary to counteract them. Thanks!

Old 03-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
(female)

Kesava HB User

When symptoms were at their worst unfortunately I did act on the thoughts. My mind was so bad sometimes it would be hard to even do routine stuff like shower, change clothes, talk to people as my mind was so disturbed all the time with bad thoughts and I didnt have the energy to deal with all the other stuff you do as everything toghether seemed too overwhelming at the time. It was a nightmare.

Im glad youll give the chanting a go, it really had amazing results for me and because your ocd doesnt seem that bad it could possibly block it out completely, you dont know. The more you focus on the chanting the more it has an effect on stabilizing the mind.. also the more you chant the more it'll help.. I have found.

Also unfortunately lately my ocd has got worse so I am on some tablets and that is working great. It didnt come back as strong as it used to be but thought I should give them a go incase things got worse. I am now taking tablets and still chanting and the ocd symptoms have seemed to have died down almost completely for the time being.

All the best my friend with your ocd. I hope you can manage to find something to completely block it out.

Last edited by Kesava; 03-02-2012 at 04:50 AM.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #4
(male)

db851 HB Userdb851 HB Userdb851 HB User

One more question. I've never actually been diagnosed as OCD, but read your post and saw some similar traits. Mine don't appear to be that bad, but again I fear that they could get worse. Did yours come on suddenly, or are they something you've dealt with most of your life? I was primarily an anxiety/panic attack sufferer and the worrisome thoughts are new to me. They've actually only been around a couple of weeks, but when they take hold, are definitely tought to get rid of! I'm determined to, but thought I'd ask a few more questions to compare cases. I appreciate your responses, and willingness to start a thread to state your case. Hope you continue to win as well!

Last edited by db851; 03-03-2012 at 05:18 PM.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #5
(female)

Kesava HB User

Most of my life I have suffered with anxiety, then stressful circumstances in my life bought on the panic attacks under certain circumstances- social situations. I then oneday noticed strange thoughts in my head.. I tried to remove them but they kept coming back, then I noticed it more frequent and it got worse.. I think in about a 6 month period they got more intense. Then unfortunately I started neglecting my hygeine as my mind was too stressed to do routine stuff which is a big mistake on my part as im sure neglecting the hygeine made the situation alot worse.

It doesnt sound like your intrusive thoughts are that bad, thats really good. Maybe you should talk to your gp if it gets any worse as its probably best to treat it at the early stages. I wish I had have done that now. Also try not to worry if you do have this as you can get great medication to block it out, just thought id say as you've said your a worrier. So am I.

Thanks db for your kind encouragement.

Last edited by Kesava; 03-09-2012 at 04:14 PM.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:43 AM   #6
(male)

blondi9 HB User

/Ive had ocd, anxiety, depression for as long as i remember but not intrustive thoughts. That first came about 3 years ago. Can you relate to that?

Closed Thread