It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2012, 05:25 AM   #1
(female)

ac1989 HB User
Just started taking prozac, please help :(

Hi,

I posted quite a few months ago about how I suffer with obsessions over my partners sexual past.

Since then I had counselling for 6 weeks which did seem to help to an extent but I decided to go on anti-depressants.
I had tried Celexa in the past but found it just made me so drowsy and didn't seem to help. About a month ago I was put on Sertaline which I THOUGHT had started working as the first 2 weeks I was at an absolute high, no obsessive thoughts, nothing. Then into the 3rd week of taking them I felt my thoughts coming back and I hit a real low which caused a big big argument with me and my partner and I ended up self harming myself (which is something I hadn't done for several months)

I went to the doctors the other day and told them I didn't think Sertaline had made any difference, despite thinking they did to begin with so they prescribed me with Prozac @ 20mg. I was told I could start straight away so I did the next day. I am on the 2nd day of taking them and my obsessive thoughts have escalated so much and I am finding it so hard to concentrate on anything else. I can't look at another female walking past my work without thinking my partner has engaged in sexual activity with them in the past, in fact today I am convinced I have seen one of them!!

Is the way I'm feeling normal for someone just starting prozac? I really need some reassurance, my thoughts are out of control and feel like I am breaking down.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
(male)

black_lab HB User
Re: Just started taking prozac, please help :(

Do you also suffer from anxiety? In my case, anxiety and OCD often go hand-in-hand. I've found that the higher my anxiety level, the more powerful and numerous intrusive thoughts become.

I'm currently taking 100mg of Zoloft daily, which does seem to help to some degree. What really helped me, though, was a book that presents a four-step method to manage OCD: "Brain Lock: Free Yourself from Obsessive-Compulsive Behavior" by Jeffrey M. Schwartz, M.D. with Beverly Beyette. I'm very thankful for its treatment method, and I've integrated it into my daily life. I really believe that I am changing my brain chemistry with this self-treatment method.

I would suggest that instead of focusing on intrusive thoughts, try dealing with anxiety instead by doing something to help you relax, like exercising or meditating. Your OCD is just trying to mess with you with garbage; don't let it.

Take care, and I hope you feel better.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:20 AM   #3
(male)

PKNed HB User
Re: Just started taking prozac, please help :(

Hi Ac1989,

Don't worry about there being an increase in the intensity of your thoughts. I recently started Prozac (2 months ago), and the first 3-4 weeks were extremely difficult. My obsessions became stronger and I found myself in some pretty bad moods. I spoke to my psychologist, and my mum who is a GP and they both said that this escalation in thoughts often occurs when patients begin taking drugs.

The reason being is that your brain is getting used to the new chemistry - so it takes about 3-4 weeks to settle.

It has now been 8 weeks for me, and the drugs have worked a treat! I have noticed a huge reduction in my anxiety, as well as in my obsessive thinking.

Hang in there, and you'll be through the hard part really soon!

I hope that helps

The following user gives a hug of support to PKNed:
ac1989 (02-22-2012)
Closed Thread