It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
(female)

lissa981 HB User
too young to tell?

I have a 5 yr old that has exibited some odd behavioral quirks for as long as I can remember. The first is food. whenever he sits down to eat he has a process he has to follow, first he inspects his food from every angle, then sniffs it, then licks if, then inspectes it once again. If it passes then he'll eat it, if not then he'll skip the meal rather then eat it. Also he won't eat anything thats touching anything else on his plate. He has to have the appropiate utensel and amost never gets food on him anywhere.. I couldn't even get a messy cake face picture of him on his 1st b-day. Then there's his stuff, he ALWAYS knows where his favorites are, although he doesn't always keep them in the same place, and he will freak out if anything is moved. He's WAY over-protective of his sister [she's 4], he acually checks to be sure she is buckled into her seatbelt correctly, and will even spend his play time making sure she doesn't get too close to the street, pick up anything off the ground ect. He also has trouble funtioning with out a firm [but not elaberate] routine, like teeth brushing MUST take place before his bath and we must read 2 books [never more or less] before bed. There are a few other issues, but this post is already too long. I know kids throw fits and have tantrums, but these are different in that he cannot be reasoned out of them. So I'm tring to decide what my next course of action should be. Am I just an over protective mom, and it's nothing to worry about, or do I start looking for a behavioral specialest based on these issues. Do I let it go and that he'll grow out of it? I could really use advice from peeps that have more experiance with this disorder then I have.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
(male)

TrainOfThought HB UserTrainOfThought HB UserTrainOfThought HB User
Re: too young to tell?

Hey Lissa, well kids tend do have some unusual behavior when they are that young, so I wouldn't worry much about it. It is okay if a child has some repetitive behavior, almost every child have some type of ritual at that age. Anyway I am not a professional, not yet, but of what I know it is okay for a child to act like that.
Hope it helps, and don't worry to much.

Closed Thread