It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
(male)

Leff935 HB User
bothersome thoughts

Does anyone have any remedys for bothersome thoughts, I repeat things in my head to provoke myself , and i cant stop my thoughts really bother me sometimes , i dont know why i do it , but i cant stop doing it sometimes. it can be any sort of thought its just the repetitive nature that really is annoying and it interferes in my daily life, even my work life.

any suggestions please

Chris

Old 02-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
(male)

eatyourfoodlil HB User
Re: bothersome thoughts

I have bothersome thoughts. Sometimes, I try to empty my mind and then, in a mischievous way, mention the bothersome thought to myself, as if reminding myself of it. This is also to de-sensitise myself to the thought. However, the thought still bothers me! So, no good. I have been trying meditation/mindfulness (went on a course recently) and this has helped when I do it quite regularly. It is about not becoming attached to the bothersome thought. The thought will return, but if we do not attach to it, then it does not bother us so much anymore and disappears. Don't hold onto the thought. And don't analyse why you have a specific thought - I have never got to the bottom of it.

The following user gives a hug of support to eatyourfoodlil:
herpelow (03-03-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
(female)

herpelow HB User

Don't give up! Keep trying. They will go away if you don't give up!

Old 03-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #4
(female)

herpelow HB User

Purposefully force another train of thought to interrupt the process. Keep intentionally interrupting back at the thoughts. When the thoughts keep coming, picture a majestic mountain or the beauty of the sunset on a beach. It probably won't work right away but it will eventually.

Closed Thread