It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
(male)

Eagles10 HB User
OCD and scrupulosity/intrusive thoughts about family and God

I've been having a hard time lately with intrusive thoughts about God or loved ones for no reason, it's so debilitating!!! I notice sometimes I get OCD in the sense that I will read something and not be sure if I read everything correctly, then go back and re-read it to make sure I got it all right, then bad things/intrusive thoughts will pop in my head about my family or God..or if I think for too long about things in the past, like if I would have done this differently then this would have happened and so forth. It seems like the common OCD flaw of doubt..I doubt things and when I analyze them then I think of these crazy things, sometimes bad things about God himself, really weird...sometimes I think this comes from me doing badly in school a few years ago and not forgiving myself, and getting my parents to help me financially..since then I have graduated and have a good job but all this OCD sometime can affect my work, which obviously is not helping things right now..

Also sometimes I notice that if I think of something bad I will kinda just give into it and let it take over my mind for a few seconds, then I believe that I really do believe what I thought. I then start to analyze what exactly I thought of and why I would think of something so bad, which makes me think of more bad thoughts in return. I realize I should just let the thoughts in my head go, but then when I analyze and think of more bad things and don't just "let it go", then I start to get really anxious and start to repent..I feel like if it is just about family then I can let it go but when God gets involved I just get really anxious...Ah crazy I know, I just need to let it all go!! Any suggestions on letting this go is much appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2012, 12:53 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

dksea HB Userdksea HB Userdksea HB User
Re: OCD and scrupulosity/intrusive thoughts about family and God

Overanalyzing is kinda the hallmark of having OCD isn't it? I totally do the same thing. I read in a book that people with OCD tend to be intelligent and creative, which is great and all except it means we are also really good at coming up with new ways to worry.

I too have been struggling recently, although my worries are disturbing thoughts about myself not others/God I've had some of those too in the past.

Definitely the best thing to do is get professional help, a combination of meds and CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) is the standard course of treatment and can be pretty darn helpful, its really made a difference in my life.

Its hard, though, i know. I'm going through a rough patch myself now, but something I'm trying to keep in mind myself that should help you too, is this:
Analyzing your worries is the wrong thing to do. It just makes you dwell on them more and think about them more, and you can ALWAYS come up with counter arguments to your own arguments. The What If's are never ending and don't help. Thats really tough for people who do normal problem solving by analyzing and logic right? I struggle with it, but its best to just work on letting the thought go. Not avoiding it per se, but not dwelling on it. Acknowledge it, then let it go. Its not always easy, but it helps.

Something else that has helped me is to write down my worries in a journal. Not to overanalyze them or go over them, but just to get them out. It can be tough to share them with other people. You are afraid of being embarrassed, or of scaring or worrying them, or what not. But being able to write them out is a way of letting them out.

Hope some of this helps, I know that OCD isn't easy, but you aren't alone in having these types of thoughts/worries, even knowing that, learning that was a big help for me, hopefully it'll help you too.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
(female)

herpelow HB User
Re: OCD and scrupulosity/intrusive thoughts about family and God

When i was at the height of OCD this was one of the most anxiety provoking obsessive thought I had. Then one day God revealed to me that he understood that I was sick and He was ever patient, kind and merciful. Remember that He is the engineer that created your mind and at some point you aquired a "glitch" in His creation. He knows how OCD brains think. He does understand to the point He knows you don't even need forgiveness. He knows the difference between OCD and you. I hope these words offer some comfort for you.

Closed Thread