It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2012, 02:27 AM   #1
(female)

Tigger546 HB User
Schizophrenia - am i getting it?

Is it possible to worry yourself into getting Schizophrenia?

I read all the symptoms of schizophrenia and i haven't really had any except for when i touch my arms/legs or anything really, I feel very ticklish and i guess this could just be sensitive skin(which is a symptom of anxiety) but i read that Schizophrenic people feel like they are being touched by something that really isn't there and now i am worried that the devil or something is touching me even though deep down i know it is me. Is this just doubt with OCD? Please help this is terrifying me

Old 05-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
(male)

guitarman86 HB Userguitarman86 HB User
Re: Schizophrenia - am i getting it?

I've been told by my therapist to severely limit the amount of "researching" i do on various mental illnesses and symptoms. The mind is a complicated and powerful thing that can cause you to believe you're exhibiting symptoms that you don't actually have.

Schizophrenia is characterized by delusions. OCD is much different. OCD sufferers have complete clarity and awareness of their thoughts and their irrationality. A schizophrenic delusion means you are completely in belief of the thing which you are deluded about (i.e. paranoid somebody is out to get you).

Basically, an OCD sufferer will say "what if that person tries to get me?" (and then continue to worry about it).

A Schizophrenic will say "that person is out to get me, no question!"

I'm no doctor, but I would confidently say you do no have Schizophrenia. You have too much doubt. Schizophrenics don't have doubt, they have paranoia (convinced delusional beliefs)

Best of Luck,
God Bless

The Following User Says Thank You to guitarman86 For This Useful Post:
TrainOfThought (05-20-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
(female)

Tigger546 HB User

Thank you for your help but just yesterday I went to a wedding and my cousin invited me to her place on the holidays which is kind of unusual and then when I left, I thought about it and wondered if she was going to do something bad to me because it's so unusual for her to invite me down and then I thought no that's crazy she would never do that. But then I went over it and over it and now I'm worried that she is out to get me by deep down I know she's not. I'm also starting to worry that everyone's out to get me but I keep telling myself they aren't but now I'm worried I have schizophrenia ...

Old 05-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
(male)

again, I would emphasize that a person's mind is capable of extraordinary things when it comes to false symptoms and such. Anxiety and stress remove the ability to process information correctly.

At the present time, you're really afraid of Schizophrenia so you think about it all the time. You watch for symptoms diligently and anything that even remotely resembles a symptom, you grab hold of it and think about it even further.

I would go even further to say that a simple matter of having minor paranoia about a friend/relative is nothing to panic about, much less jump to a major diagnosis of Schizophrenia. Everybody has thoughts like this. And what's more, you're not deluded - you don't believe it completely. You only worry that she "might be" out to get you.

What's more, Schizophrenics exhibit many many more symptoms than you've listed. Many of which are related to a diminishing in cognitive function. Something that you've obviously still got a lot of (proper cognitive function that is). The fact that you're so aware of yourself and your surroundings plus the fact that you seem to exhibit no symptoms that would characterize Schizophrenia as a conclusive diagnosis again leads me to encourage you to not worry. You are not a schizophrenic.

I sympathize with you. I too once had a great fear of Schizophrenia and that I might have it or get it. Its the same thing that any normal person might worry about. Something as simple as getting a headache and thinking "Oh no! I've got a brain tumor". These are just things that normal people worry about and 99% of the time they're very wrong.

If you are as concerned as you say you are, perhaps you should ask your therapist for some professional medical assurance. I'm confident they will tell you something similar to what I've told you.

In the mean time, again I would very much emphasize not worrying about it. Easy to say, I know, but trust me. You can't worry yourself into Schizophrenia but you won't do your OCD and anxiety any good by feeding it things to make it stronger

Best of Luck,
God Bless

SCS2011 (06-14-2012)
Old 05-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
(male)

P.S. if you're going to research Schizophrenia and compare symptoms that you share with it - you need to be objective about it.

Pay attention not only to any symptoms you share, but also how many (lots i'm guessing) that you DON'T have that are characteristic of this illness.

Also bear in mind that certain symptoms may be characteristic, but many symptoms could indicate hundreds, perhaps thousands of other illnesses or even common ailments that are not significant or uncommon at all.

Example?

Headache. A symptom of brain cancer. But guess what - its also a symptom of just about every single illness known to man.

So far the symptoms you've listed are basically indicative of nothing more than common human anxiety being blown out of proportion.

Please take it from me - a fellow OCD'er who knows what it means to blow things out of proportion.

God Bless

SCS2011 (06-14-2012)
Old 05-20-2012, 11:22 PM   #6
(female)

Tigger546 HB User

Thank you so much Your posts have made me feel a lot better God Bless

Old 06-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #7
(female)

SCS2011 HB User

Very intelligent reply Guitarman! Well done!

Old 06-17-2012, 12:42 AM   #8
(female)

Tigger546 HB User

Thank you so much for your help
But just one other thing that has been worrying me is that ever since i found out that people with Schizophrenia believe that their thoughts are controlled by others, I am now worried that maybe my thoughts are controlled by others. I try and tell myself that this is crazy but i have so much doubt it is hard to believe that they aren't controlling my thoughts. Its has happened before I started to worry that maybe others were plotting to get me because i found out that that was a symptom of schizophrenia but then when i felt better i could tell myself that they weren't and believe it but with this one about thoughts it seems harder to tell myself that this is crazy thinking that. Would this still just be a kind of doubt OCD thing or maybe worse? : (

Old 06-17-2012, 02:58 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

TinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB User

Does this make any sense: A person suffering from schizophrenia does not stop and ask themselves if they have it. People with OCD (mine acts up sometimes, not daily) can ask themselves that same question, (for example), over and over, obsessively and compulsively. Frankly, the lucid nature of your writing is not at all reminiscent of a schizophrenic. Good luck!

Old 06-17-2012, 05:37 AM   #10
(male)

mikeyboy100uk HB User

sounds more like anxiety than schizoprenia. the trick is to go with your thoughts and down play them. eventually you will not feel stressed and the thoughts will stop. my phycologist advised this to me and most of my anxiety has gone away.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #11
(female)

Tigger546 HB User

okay thank you very much everyone It does make sense yes

Closed Thread