It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #1
(female)

overthinkinprob HB User
Smile Just an AverageGirl .. looking for Advice :)

Hey everyone...

So for the past 7 months I have been battling what seems to be depression, anxiety & OCD .. I deal with intrusive thoughts which really gets me to feel down, crazy and depressed. I was wondering if it is normal for these things to all be combined together in most cases .. How long it takes to get better .. & if you have any advice, tips, or success stories to motivate me to recovery. Or even a wakeup call / kick in the butt .. I am suppose to be practicing CBT to help with all of the above things but I can't seem to get motivated .. Instead I spend my time researching & looking up answers & motivation .. I am on medication & for the most part it has made things better .. But I would really appreciate anything any of you could offer!

Thanks so much ..

Last edited by overthinkinprob; 04-28-2012 at 08:31 AM.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
(female)

Astrid1986 HB User
Re: Just an AverageGirl .. looking for Advice :)

Hi,
Welcome to the boards from another new member. I am sorry you are dealing with so much. It is pretty common for OCD to be combined with other things, such as depression. I am not sure what you mean by anxiety, since OCD is an anxiety disorder. Do you mean you have generalized anxiety (worry about all kinds of things)? Anyway, all of these thigns are best treated with a combination of CBT and an antidepressant. You say you are on meds, but is it an antidepressant you take (most properly an SSRI, eg. Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, etc.)? If you are willing ot, can you list which medication(s) you take and at what dose? Once at the proper dose of an antidepressant, it takes about 4-6 weeks for the maximum effect to happen. An antidepressant can help kick your motivation so tha tyou have more energy to work on CBT, so it may take until your medication has kicked in before CBT starts to help.

Do you know why you lack motivation for CBT? I mean, is it simply that you didn't expect it to be hard work, which all therapy is, or is it that you are too depressed to concentrate, or something else? I think knowing why you are unmotivated can help you kick yourself in the butt (if that is what you need) or get your treatmetn plan adjusted (if it seems it is not working despite you doing the best you can).

I want to wish you all the best and lots of strength, and hope you find lots of support here.

The Following User Says Thank You to Astrid1986 For This Useful Post:
overthinkinprob (04-28-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
(female)

overthinkinprob HB User
Re: Just an AverageGirl .. looking for Advice :)

yes I meant just general anxiety lol sorry for the confusion! I'm not too sure why I lack the motivation .. I think mainly because it's just a lot to handle at first. It's like my entire day is nothing but focusing on recovery .. guess I more or less just want a quick fix .. but I am coming to realize that it does take work & as soon as I get completely on board with CBT the sooner I will get better! thank you so much for the support.

Last edited by overthinkinprob; 04-30-2012 at 05:45 PM.

Closed Thread