It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2012, 07:45 AM   #1
(female)

JennyGxx HB User
Is this OCD?

Hi everyone, I am pretty sure that the symptoms I experienced/am experiencing are of OCD, but would love opinions and to know if anyone else has experienced this.

I think I first started having strange thoughts and behaviours when I was very very young, since I can remember probably! The first significant thing I remember obsessing over was bleach :S ... When I was very young my mum must have told me to stay away from it or something and it sparked an obsession/fear of it, I used to think if I was even in the room with the bottle it would poison me and I would die, I would just be plagued with thoughts and it never left my mind.

I also remember having to do things in even numbers, if I touched something with one hand I'd have to touch it with the other to etc. I was scared of a lot of things, and just paranoid that they would happen to me.

I don't really remember the gap between being really little and being about 10 ... other than that I became obsessed with washing my hands, I couldn't sleep or eat or do anything really unless I had literally just washed my hands, if I touched something as simple as a door knob I'd need to wash my hands.

Then when I got to the age of about 10 I started to be obsessed with cancer ... I was convinced I had it and even started making weird little bets in my head, I can't rememeber them exactly but I would think for example, if I was walking down a road, 'if the next three cars to pass me aren't red then I have cancer', something like that. I was constantly looking for symptoms of it and it was just on my mind all the time, I couldn't block it out.

When I was 13 or 14 probably I started to think I had dementia, one day I was sorting out my horse, and I forgot to feed her when I was in the field, ofcourse I went back and fed her - problem solved, right? No, I didn't stop thinking about it for months, just all the time it was there. I am not sure if that was what started this obsession or if it just fuelled it even more, but it was truely horrible, I started to question weather I had done things which I really knew I had, I'd have to check over and over again.

Not much after that I found a tiny lump on the top of my boob, I guess its kinda normal to worry about something like that, but it petrified me, I was convinced I had breast cancer and was dying, but I was too scared to tell anyone, then I started looking all over my body for other lumps, and I found a tiny one in my neck. This obsession killed me for a long time, I don't know how I did anything else as this was just so huge in my mind. After a while the lump on my boob just disapeared, and the obsession went, the lump in my neck didn't go, I'v just checked and its still there, but since this was 3, maybe 4 years ago I'd guess its nothing :S.

There were other little things to, If I walked past this particular wall I would have to think a certain thing every time ... stuff like that.

When I was about 14 I started to become very depressed and the OCD symptoms seemed to lessen, I started to self harm and I didn't really care much for my life. I was hugely depressed on and off, I'd have days where I was really happy but 90% of the time I didn't even want to live. I have been feeling much better for the last 6 months ish, I never ever thought I could get better. I don't really have that much OCD that I notice now, exept a couple of months back, I convinced myself I had schizophrenia ... I thought this because I heard random voices as I was drifting off to sleep, and then one night (after watching a horror film I will say!) I was 100% sure I heard someone screaming, it was so so so real. This set me off and I was constantly sure I had seen, heard, felt, things. This obsession only lasted for a few days though and I don't worry about it now. The only thing I can say I still do is that when I go to bed, I turn the light off, then on, then off again :S every night, although I don't feel anywhere near as severe need as I used to! The only other thing is an obsession about how I look, I worry an awful awful lot about what others think of me and that people don't really like me, but that could just be me being a typical, but slightly obsessive 17 year old girl? I dunno.

I have never told anyone about this, I am kind of embarassed by it. I just want to make sense of it I guess.

If anyone got to the end of this, you have no clue how greatful I am, not sure how long this is but my fingers hurt from typing! Any help, or people to just talk to would be much appriciated xxxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
(male)

TrainOfThought HB UserTrainOfThought HB UserTrainOfThought HB User
Re: Is this OCD?

Hey Jenny, for what you have written it looks like OCD, also it seems like you are suffering from high anxiety and anxious depression. I recommend to seek for professional help (psychologist or psychiatrist). Many symptoms that you have describe like thinking you got schizophrenia, freaking out about disease or being obsessed over what do others think about you are typical OCD stuff. The good thing is that with proper treatment (I recommend CBT therapy)you can beat OCD and live your live with out those tormenting thoughts. Remember you are the only one, there is a way out of this. One, very useful technique that I have applied and has worked for me very good is to label those unwanted intrusive thoughts or fears as "OCD thoughts" and not your own thoughts or desires, also those OCD thoughts are just plain mental noise don't worry about them.
Well thats for now, but i strongly advice to seek for professional help.
Hope it helps anything you need just write we are here to help each other
Train Of though

The Following User Says Thank You to TrainOfThought For This Useful Post:
JennyGxx (06-02-2012)
Old 06-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
(female)

JennyGxx HB User

Yeah, I did think it was likely that this was OCD. I hate it but its not so bad anymore, I still sometimes think I may have a bit of anxiety. I have had some counselling and am still going but its not helping much anymore and I am starting to find it harder and harder to talk, I am a bit scared to talk about this stuff as I am feeling a bit better now and I don't like to think of anything that could bring me down, it scares me a bit! I am worried that if I do try to get professional help it will just be too much of a reminder of how things were, but at the same time I am scared that if I don't I will come crashing down again. I dunno, I guess its kinda daunting facing this technically totally alone, so it helps to know all you lovely people are here to talk to, thank you so much. xxx

Last edited by ms_mod; 06-02-2012 at 05:56 PM.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
(male)

TrainOfThought HB UserTrainOfThought HB UserTrainOfThought HB User

Well with OCD you never know, you have to face it to fully get rid of it otherwise it will pop up again. That happened to me I used to have intrusive thoughts when I was 14, it disappear for a good 6 years, but at my 20 it returned and stronger than ever. It is better to have a complete set of techniques that are able to cope with OCD because you will never know when it will pop up again. At first I found it pretty hard to talk about it but it is a thing that was necessary if I wanted to beat OCD. The truth is that you have to face your fears in this case OCD that is the way to be finally free. Ignoring won't do it, at least on a long term, just remember OCD isn't you.

Closed Thread