It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
(male)

Rick7348 HB User
Tell Me How Crazy This OCD Ritual Is

I downloaded a movie at 7:11 pm. I tell myself that's a bad time to ******** because it makes me think of the 711 convenient store. On the cash register at the store it says something about "hotdogs for sale." In the movie Field of Dreams the girl in the movie almost chokes on a hot dog and dies. So I tell myself that because I downloaded the movie at 7:11pm, I'm going to eat something and choke and die. So now I tell myself I have to ******** another movie at a different type to balance things out. I know this doesn't make any sense but can someone give me some reassurance that this is ridiculous even though I already know it is. And can someone tell me if they can relate to a thought as ridiculous as this.

Last edited by Rick7348; 06-19-2012 at 05:08 PM.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:14 AM   #2
(female)

JL3 HB User
Re: Tell Me How Crazy This OCD Ritual Is

Hello,

I will assure you that just because you downloaded a movie at a set time, doesn't mean something bad is going to happen. Nobody knows if or when something is going to happen. One thing to do to help ease your fears is look up how to perform the Heimlich maneuver on yourself. There are instuctions online.

I can't say that I have had this type of fear. I have had other irrational fears though. I spent a lot of time counting when I was younger because I was scared that I had forgotten to turn off the water at the house. I knew that if I didn't turn off the water, our well would run dry. I use to go around the house and outside every night to make sure all the faucets were closed. There use to be times I would have to repeat this again to make sure I didn't miss one. The worst part was when I would wake up and convince myself that I had forgotten the hose outside. I would then have to go and check it before I could go back to sleep.

The thing that helped me the most with this problem was when I moved. I think the whole process of packing and unpacking broke the cycle I had started.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2012, 02:37 AM   #3
(female)

Finchesca HB UserFinchesca HB User

Yes, it is ridiculous - confirmed! I mean that in the nicest possible way, as I think you understand.

The good thing is that a) You are obviously self-aware enough to observe yourself doing this and logically think "Hmm...odd! " - a very good sign that you are fundamentally of sound mind, and b) You are checking the logic of your thoughts by asking others what they think - another excellent sign of wisdom!

It is a good idea, though, to see a therapist to get this under control sooner rather than later, only because compulsive thoughts/behaviors can seem to develop a life of their own if you don't take the reigns early on, making it harder later.

Good luck

Old 06-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
(male)

Raziel34 HB UserRaziel34 HB User

I assure you - it's ridiculous. OCD is ridiculous. I have not had the experience you describe, but I've had just as many irrational thoughts. And to spite the fact I know it's irrational - it persists.

Closed Thread