It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #1
(female)

Tess4u HB User
OCD? Not sure what this is. Help!!

For about 3 weeks almost all I've been thinking about when I wake up is my saliva,and swallowing. Like one day it just occurred to me the way I swallow and my saliva. Now when I'm alone or not distracted I keep thinking about it and I have excessive saliva in my mouth and honestly I just want it to go away. Its making me swallow alot more than usual. I dont even remember how it feels to swallow normally. I read somewhere that this could be OCD but I'm really not sure. I went to my dr. yesterday and he said it was probably nothing but I really wish they could prescribe me something for it. I dont have another appointment till September. I just wanna know what this is and if their is hope to get better with medication or anything at this point

Old 06-24-2012, 02:26 AM   #2
(female)

JL3 HB User
Re: OCD? Not sure what this is. Help!!

Hello,

I will start by saying that I am not a doctor. One key point I noticed you said is that when you are distracted, you don't notice the problem. That is a good sign that it is OCD. Another thing to think about is that every time you swallow, you are contracting muscles in your mouth. These muscles cause you to salivate more. So, the more you swallow, the more you salivate.

I hope the above helps you out. Maybe trying to distract yourself more would help. Also, looking up how you salivary glands and muscles in your mouth work might put your mind more at ease.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread