It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
(male)

Raziel34 HB UserRaziel34 HB User
Question OCD & Alcohol

I am currently struggling with managing OCD and my use of alcohol. I feel like alcohol is a way to reduce my anxiety (I know this is not healthy) but I feel compelled to drink. Even though the next day is often even worse - so I turn to alcohol to reduce those feelings. It's a vicious loop. And let me just say, that I know how bad this is in terms of health and it's not realy treating the problem. I am concerned about my health.

Has anyone ever experienced the compulsion to drink? I don't feel like this is necessarily a physical addiction it feels more psychological... And it's not to the point where I'm not able hold a job - it's evenings/weekends. But it's a slippery slope and I am very concerned.

In addition to my questioning whether the drinking is a compulsion, I have to check and recheck things ALL the time. It seems that my "habits" changed over time. Some time ago, I was always checking the stove to make sure it was off and that the doors were locked. Recently, it's less about the stove and more about making sure my car is locked and in park. I still constantly check the doors. And I feel the need to touch things.

I know I'm not crazy and this is a disorder - I have had therapy with a psychologist. But that was several years ago.

Just interested in hearing what you have to say...

The Following User Says Thank You to Raziel34 For This Useful Post:
Charmbracelet81 (09-27-2012)
Old 08-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
(female)

Charmbracelet81 HB User
Re: OCD & Alcohol

Yep, I do. When I had my initial "intake" interview with my therapist I told her that its clear to me that drinking makes it worse but it also gives me relief from suffering all freaking day! I told her that it's not even that I crave the taste or anything its just that I seek the relief. My obsessions and compulsions change alot also. I have my main one which is obsessing with my heart and breathing and checking my pulse and blood pressure dozens of times a day. I also have some tics that seem uncontrollable that I've never experienced until like the past couple weeks. I am diagnosed with panic disorder and ocd.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2012, 05:00 AM   #3
(female)

millieann HB User
Re: OCD & Alcohol

Hiya,
I am exactly the same.
I recently put a post about my obsessions and I deal with them with alcohol.
Like youreslf, it is not the taste and I do not feel dependant... I just drink every night and weekend, I can easily drink over a bottle and a half of wine a night minimum.... which is a lot for a woman.
I never thought of it as a part of having OCD, but I myself are worried too that I am slowly going down hill, drinking more and more.
I cannot seem to stop.
I do not know know whether it is a compulsion or a drinking problem.
I know I need to stop, but I don't think I can.
It is such a huge and normal part of my life.
I look around me and I realise that nobody drinks the way I do and therefore it must be a problem.
I do feel I turn to alcohol to relieve my OCD, but am I using that as an excuse? as although my compusive behaviour subsides when drinking, my obsessive side becomes ten times worse and I just switch characters.
I honestly don't know what to suggest, I just want you to know you are not alone.

Closed Thread

Tags
alcohol, drinking, ocd