It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
(male)

Raziel34 HB UserRaziel34 HB User
Unhappy Checking the door - drives me crazy!

Omg. Does anyone have any tips on how to get over checking the door for being locked. Today. I was trying so hard to not "give in" I had a panic attack and broke out in a sweat. Trying to resist created so much anxiety that I ended up giving in and then I spent over 40 minutes checking. I was headed out of town for a week and the thought of what of I forgot something (like the stove on) and the building burns down. What of someone breaks in.

This is so irrational I know! I'm a professional person and I keep this issue hidden from all my family and friends. It's embarrassing. Then I get so mad at myself because I know it's stupid. Today was the worse episode I think I've ever had. I've been really trying to figure out and try to break these cycles.

It's nice to be part of an online community like this where I can read and respond to others with the same problem. It makes me feel better to know that I'm not crazy or losing my mind. But definitely seems like the wiring up there in the head is off ....

The following user gives a hug of support to Raziel34:
Mymycherrypie (07-11-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2012, 06:42 AM   #2
(female)

Jaye66 HB UserJaye66 HB UserJaye66 HB User
Re: Checking the door - drives me crazy!

I used to be that way with my coffee maker. Always afraid that I forgot to unplug it and would burn the house down. Something that helped me was I would take a picture on my phone of the unplugged coffee maker. The date and time would show me that I did indeed unplug it. Give it a try and see if it helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
(male)

Thanks for the tip, but I'm afraid that will just feed my OCD - taking pics and video clips of everything. It's soooo weird eh, the things we get hung up (i.e. coffee maker, door locks, making sure stove is off). UGH ! Ever find yourself just staring at something for a period of time just to be sure... It makes me laugh when I think about how ridiculous it all is. And yet.... Do you still have alot of OCD tendancies?

Old 07-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
(female)

Mymycherrypie HB User

I have OCD too. I always have to check things and if I don't follow these 'rituals' then I feel as though something bad may happen, and a horrible feeling of fear and despair wells up inside me. I get nervous in many situations- the other day my phone went off while I was in town, and I couldn't stop shaking, I was so anxious. I also get some intrusive thoughts, and I always have the urge to check behind me, or check the doors, or the window or plugs,etc.. At night, I can be checking things and worrying until really late and I get really tired.
I sometimes feel really guilty that there are people who can't even leave their homes because of anxiety, or people who have serious cancer or something, and I am just a little fussy about the door or something.
I know it's not like that, but my head is so irrational and I don't know what to do. Sometimes it's manageable and sometimes I feel like crying.
It's reassuring to know that there are other people who feel the same way. It seems the only people who understand are the people who have it. If you find anyway of coping, please let me know! xx

Old 07-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
(female)

Jaye66 HB UserJaye66 HB UserJaye66 HB User

I began to eliminate things that caused me anxiety. Luckily, mine has gotten better over time. It used to take me a long time to leave the house because I was constantly checking. I gave up using my curling iron because I was so paranoid about it and most of the time I will forgo using my coffee maker in the morning just so that I don't obscess about it all day. But it did help me to take a picture of it. I can understand if you have many things that worry you that it may not work for you. Have you tried medication? It may be a good idea to see a doctor.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:44 AM   #6
(female)

Mymycherrypie HB User

I have seen a doctor and he didn't seem to worried about it, though he did give me a leaflet for therapy. Since then it has gotten much worse and I am only a teenager I hate to think how much worse it could get in the future... I am worried to see a therapist for many different reasons, but mostly probably guilt. I have started a diary of all the things I do, keeping record of the good days and the bad, which helps a little. It also helps talking to others who understand. If it gets to the point where it takes me more than 10-20 minutes to complete a simple task (shutting the door) then I think I shall see a therapist because then it is stopping me from doing the things which I want to do... I do recommend keeping a diary of things though...

Last edited by ms_mod; 07-12-2012 at 07:37 AM.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:51 PM   #7
(male)

To all those who responded to this post: thank you!

I've been trying to wean myself off of checking the doors and making sure my car was in park. Now. As I think I've made progress. I was concerned that I left my car door open (instead of being in park with emerg brake on). *sigh*. Is this what it's going to be like? It seems one intrusive thought is replaced with another!

I'm really trying hard to get over this so I can be "normal". Ugh. It's so tough. Thanks for understanding. It's such a weird thing. I know better. But at the same time I obsess and compulse. I am determined to master this issue but I find I go into panics when I attempt to resist the compulsion. It's so frustrating!!!!

I'm happy and feel more normal that I'm not alone. We are actually NOT crazy.

Last edited by Raziel34; 07-12-2012 at 11:54 PM.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:53 PM   #8
(male)

Please see a therapist. It helps! Take care

Closed Thread