It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #1
(male)

bluefinch HB User
Medication Worries

Hello everyone,

I wonder if you can help me with a question I have about antiobsessional medication, specifically 2 SSRIs, namely sertraline (Lustral) and fluoxetine (Prozac). Although I have been prescribed SSRIs in the past, for one reason or another I've never taken them long enough to experience their full effect.

I'm going on holiday to my cousins, about which I've written here before. I'm nervous about going because I made a big issue about my OCD, which has made me feel self conscious about it, and I don't feel confident that I'll be able to relax and be my natural self when I'm there. And so I feel that Lustral or Prozac, both of which I know I respond to, will help.

The next step seems simple - get a prescription and start taking the stuff. But it is not so simple for me. I have got into a situation where I believe the floor around my new fridge-freezer to be contaminated, with something more than the normal dirt that builds up on floors, and I need it to be washed 10 times before I can start putting food in the bottom two shelves of the freezer. This must be done at natural intervals, when the floor actually needs to be washed, not 10 times in quick succession.

I can't do it myself, I'm disabled, and need my carers to do it. I need to keep a record of when it was done and by whom. This could be over and done with in about 2 months, but I have a lot of other things to think about and I can't keep my mind focussed on it. If I don't mark it down straight away, that time is forgotten and not counted in the 10. It has now been going on for six months or more, and I have made only 3 records of when it was done. I'm pretty sure it has been done adequately the required number of times, but it won't count unless I've recorded it.

If I start taking medication, it may rid me of the need to keep this record because I just won't be worried about the floor anymore. But so repulsive to me is the nature of the contamination that I feel an overwhelming compulsion to clean the floor the required number of times before I start the meds, as I am worried that the anxiety about the floor will come back sometime in the future, and I'll think the freezer is contaminated because the floor wasn't washed the required number of times.

However, I have been told by a psychiatric nurse in relation to a different obsession - one about checking and rechecking documents - that medication (in that instance it was sertraline), rather than ridding me of the need to do these tasks - tasks that are getting in the way of me starting the medication - they may help relax my mind enough to help me follow them through and get them out of the way. This sounds contradictory to me. How would a drug whose purpose is to combat obsessional thinking help you continue with an obsession?

Can anyone tell me if their SSRIs have helped them follow through an obsession? Has anyone felt compelled to complete an obsessive sequence before starting a course of meds? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bluefinch

Last edited by bluefinch; 07-13-2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Greater clarity

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
antiobsessional, ssris