It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2012, 03:21 AM   #1
(female)

Bexboo HB User
Intrusive thoughts and relationships

I have recently been told I have OCD, which is something I never considered having. I've always known I'm a hypochondriac, as I tend to obsessive and worry about the tiniest of health problems, and half the time it's not even a health problem at all, but normal.

I have been in a relationship for over 2 years, and I love my boyfriend a lot. We've had serious discussions about the future and it's always made me really excited.
He's moving far away soon, for uni. At first I was really upset, but I began to feel I had accepted this and thought it'll work out. I still had worries though.
The thing is, in the past week, completely out of nowhere, I've found myself questioning my feelings for him. This has never happened before and deep down I know I love him, but it feels really really hard to accept that as the truth. All I know is I don't want to ever lose him but these thoughts won't go away
In a few weeks I'm starting cbt, but until then, does this sound like OCD?
I'm feeling really down all the time and constantly feel I need to speak to him to get some kind of reassurance that, I guess he can't really give because it's in my head.

Some help would really be appreciated. Thanks

Old 07-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
(female)

Jabuticaba HB User
Re: Intrusive thoughts and relationships

I don't really have any experience in relationships, but I've heard of two methods to help stop intrusive thoughts.

One of them is the thought-stopping method. When an intrusive thought occurs, you immediately imagine a big stop-sign with the word STOP! on it. It is also okay to switch the current thought for another thought that isn't upsetting.

Another one that I've heard of is called the rubber-band method. You wear a rubber-band on your wrist and whenever an intrusive thought occurs, you snap the rubber-band.

Those are two methods that I know have helped some people, and it might just help you too. It might not work, but it's worth a try if you're willing

Glad to help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
intrusive thoughts, relationships, rocd, worried