It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
(female)

sarahzafar HB User
extremely worried that i hit a child while driving and didn't notice

so this thought has been bothering me on and off for almost a year (maybe more now). i live in Islamabad, Pakistan and i was driving back from work one day when i notice 3-4 young kids on their way to crossing the road. i remember looking at them and thinking they must've gotten an early leave from school and they really shouldn't be out on the road like this unaccompanied by an adult or a school watchman!! there weren't too many cars on the road (i think there were just two...mine and another). i remember driving past these kids while one of them (apparently the youngest of the lot) was so excited he almost didn't see my car and stepped right in front of it. i remember one of his friends stopping and holding him back from doing so because he was aware of my car about to pass them.

now on and off...all i can wonder is that maybe i did hit that child and not notice! i've been through quite a few hit and run ocd message boards online but i just can't seem to shake this feeling. being in pakistan (where there is no concept of traffic cameras and such) i remember scanning the newspaper next day to check if there had been any such accident that day and there was no such report. i also did an online internet check of any reported incidents but none showed up but then my mind refuses to accept the online and newspaper check as an authentic source.

to make matters worse...i read some woman's account of hit and run ocd yesterday where she thought she hit someone on her way to the grocery store but she shrugged it off at first but then later felt like something had hit and flown past her side window. people on that forum were telling her that it was probably junk that flew by but somehow, her account got stuck in my mind and now even i've become paranoid and i'm thinking that maybe i also felt like something (like that child) had hit my car/ windscreen/ window but i for some reason blocked it out or ignored it!!!

i've been living with this thought for over a year...sometimes i forget it and other times it comes back big time. haven't been able to shake it off for 2 days now.

Last edited by sarahzafar; 07-31-2012 at 08:24 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: extremely worried that i hit a child while driving and didn't notice

You know, cars aren't really all that tough. If you hit a person hard enough to injure him, there would be visible damage to the car. There would probably also be blood.

Around here, for example, we have a lot of deer. When a car hits a deer at speed, the car is usually totaled and the passengers are often hurt.

Unless you were driving a freight train or a tank, it's impossible to hit a pedestrian and not know it.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
sarahzafar (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
(female)

Astrid1986 HB User

Hi,
I hav eno knowledg eof cars or hit-and-run accidents, so I have to go with what the above poster says in reassuring you that you didn't hit the child. Also, may I ask if there is any way you can get treatment for your OCD in Pakistan? It sounds like very tough for you dealing with this completely irrational guilt, and this is having a hug eimpact on your life. These thoughts can really play havoc with your mind,a nd make you actually "remember"hitting something even though you didn't. It is quit eimportant that you get help for this.

Also, may I ask why you keep coming ot different OCD boards for advice? Could this also be an OCD characteristic? I understand your need for support, but you seem to focus on wanting to be reassured about thsi specific incident (the perceived accident). This is unproductive. Try to focus instead on asking OCD folks for tips on how to combat your obsession.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
(female)

sarahzafar HB User

@janewhite1: yeah...at the back of my mind, i know all this...but when a nagging thought like this strikes...its strikes! thanks for the reply though...appreciate it and will definitely keep telling myself this!

@astrid1986: i'm sure treatment is available i just haven't had the time to seek it yet...like i said...the thoughts come and go and they usually come when i'm idle...like i am nowadays since i'm on a break from work. the reason why i visited a few ocd forums is because i was wondering if there are any other people who suffer from the same paranoia as i do. but i'm no expert...maybe this forum visit is also a symptom of ocd. thanks for your support and advise too. appreciate it!

Last edited by sarahzafar; 07-31-2012 at 09:24 AM.

Closed Thread