It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
(female)

chloejoy HB User
Unhappy needing help

hi im chloe im struggling to help my boyfriend with his ocd ploblem he has bad fears off death and cancers and just nothing i can do will help him hes had it since he was a child and he is now 26 he is that scared that the fears are maken him cry this happens every now and then it just comes on outta the blue and goes on for weeks on end he keeps me up at night becausce he doesnt like to be alone he struggles aswell as i do i have anxieity im just needing some sort of help if anyone can let me know what sorta help i can give him would be great thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
(female)

Jabuticaba HB User
Re: needing help

Hullo, I'm no professional but maybe I could help. Well, to get to the point, he probably would do well with some exposure therapy, it's worked for many cases of OCD. He should get help right away if it's really bad. If he has intrusive thoughts, he could try these two things. At the same time is he wants to:

1. Thought-Stopping
When an intrusive thought takes place, imediantely imagine a big stop-sign with the word STOP! on it.

2. Rubber-Band Method
Wear a rubber-band on your wrist. When an intrusive thought occurs, snap the rubber band.

I remind you that I'm no professional, the best thing would be for him to get professional help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
(male)

Raziel34 HB UserRaziel34 HB User
Re: needing help

Definitely therapy if an option and I have been doing ERP. It helps. Men tend to keep things inside (emotionally) so it may be hard for him to talk openly. As a guy myself. I have not told anyone about my OCD because I fear being judged or the reaction.

I suppose being supportive and helping reassure him. But not feeding it.

Does he have checking habits? That might be a good place to start ERP. Start with the smallest one.

Good luck! It's a complicated disorder.

Closed Thread