It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2012, 03:11 AM   #1
(female)

Mymycherrypie HB User
Question Where do I start?

I have decided that I am going to get therapy after deciding that OCD was making it difficult to live life 'normally'. The only problem is that I dont know where to start!!! If anyone out there has had therapy before or is currently having it, could you please tell me how to find one and how it works!!!
Thank you! xx

Old 08-06-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
(male)

Raziel34 HB UserRaziel34 HB User
Re: Where do I start?

Hi there, depending where you live (especially if it's near or in a large city), you can likely google search for psychologists in your area, often there is one page or association that has listings for multiple psychologist and their area of speciality. Ideally, you'd probably want to find one with Anxiety and/or OCD as an area of practice for them. But all psychologists if you don't have alot of options can help! Just see a professional (registered).

I went through therapy for anxiety and discovered it was OCD - here I was thinking I was crazy cause I had to check to make sure the stove was off 10 times, etc...

Finding someone you are comfortable with is important, i.e. would you be more comfortable with a man or woman. It will take many sessions, so it's not just a one shot deal where you walk in and walk out all better after just one session. So be prepared.

At first it was weird opening up to someone about what I had been keeping inside, but after a few short sessions I couldn't wait to talk about it. In therapy we set goals, and monitored progess, i.e. made a list of the things that caused me anxiety or OCD rituals and then rated on a scale of 1-10 how much anxiety it created. Then slowly through ERP started working through the list (starting with the smallest ones). It takes time, and I've learned alot of tips/tools to use to help manage the day to day anxiety. It really never goes away (at least that's my experience) but there are definately moments and times when I'm more free and other times when it flares up (stressful times).

It was the best decision I made - I can't imagine what state I'd be in if I hadn't looking back. Good Luck!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
(female)

Mymycherrypie HB User

Thank you so much for this- It is really helpful information! I have done as you said and found a psychology service near where I live! I will look more into it and once again thank you sincerely for your help! I feel more confident about it now that you have told me a little about it too.
Thanks

Old 08-06-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
(male)

cuts84 HB User

If your insurance covers mental health, you probably will want to see what therapists are on your plan. Otherwise, it can be pretty expensive.

Closed Thread

Tags
ocd, therapy