It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2012, 09:20 AM   #1
(male)

Rider2012 HB User
My Story

Hello all,
have worked in maintenance for about 12 years. always thought i was good at my job, never had any problems or bad reports. about three years ago i came home from work and started having thoughts of what if i left something out or did something wrong and what if that caused a piece of equipment to tear up and hurt someone. Got so sick to my stomach had to go back to work and look at equipment, everything checked out ok. so off an on for three years now gong back and double checking and having others check behind me. Am seeing a physcologist for awhile and part of treatment is not going back and doublechecking anything. don't do much outside of work anymore. Haven't been hiking or running, depressed and cry a lot which is new for me. starting to affect home. I'm hanging on but barely.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
(male)

Raziel34 HB UserRaziel34 HB User
Re: My Story

Hi there, OCD is weird in terms of what "thoughts" or "things" we get hung up on. Sounds like your therapist is trying ERP with you. It's tough, my only recommendation (which seems to help with me) is force yourself to start doing those things you used to do like running and hiking, exercise and physical activity can do wonders for managing the stress related to OCD and therefore reduce the symptoms (again I speak from my own experience). I too went through a phase, I loved cycling and then for some reason I stopped, got down in the dumps and stress kicked into high gear. I've started cycling again and my stress has gone way down and OCD issues seem to be reduced.

Being active can also boost your mental health (i.e. depression) in general as it releases endorphins (body feel good chemicals) - and running is actually great at releasing them.

I was at a point where I felt like my OCD controlled me, but I realized, I can control it. Day by day, issue by issue, it's not perfect but it is all about your brain and how you respond to it. The brain's thoughts are beyond our control, but our responses to the thoughts that flood our minds are in our control.

Good luck ! Keep us posted on how it's going for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread