It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2012, 09:43 PM   #1
(male)

TrainOfThought HB UserTrainOfThought HB UserTrainOfThought HB User
Wink OCD coping techniques and tips

Hi everyone, I am making a list that contains some OCD coping techniques and tips.
The following ones have help me a lot during my CBT therapy and why not in my life. I hope this helps as much as they did to me.
First I am gonna start with obsessions.
Obsessions
1. Let those intrusive thoughts go through, don't resist them, don't rationalize or ruminate over them just let them go and relax nothing is going to happen to you they are just thoughts

2. Label those nasty intrusive thoughts as "OCD" thoughts (or anything you want, I called mine the shadow) and not your own thoughts. When one of those nasty thoughts pop up just relax let it go through and label them OCD (Remember OCD is like any other sickness you must not be ashamed of yourself) OCD is not your own personal desire.

3. If a obsession or intrusive thought pops up try to distract yourself or do something else and try not to stay with the thought. Please note that distracting your self or doing something else is not doing your ritual or compulsion.

4. Acknowledge what are your obsessions and rituals. To know what obsession does trigger the ritual is an important part. Moreover this will help you label an associated intrusive thoughts, obsessions and rituals with the Obsessive compulsive disorder.

Well thats it for now I will keep making other lists that contain different tips.
Please note that this is just a tip list if your OCD is severe please I recommend to see a professional as soon as possible
Train Of Thought

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread