It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
(male)

Justinsg08 HB User
Unhappy Constant need to confess. Ruining my life

I've been doing this for years, confessing any little thing I've done to my girlfriends that I think could be hurtful. I'm 25 now, I was diagnosed a few years ago while dating someone, and it started just out of the blue one day. I started to feel guilty about something I'd done, confessed, then there was something else, and something else, and something else. Eventually I got it under control through therapy and medication, and I was fine for a while. I stopped seeing my therapist and went off my meds...but now the problem is back. I'm seeing someone new and about a week and a half ago I started feeling guilty about something, confessed, and figured I'd feel better. I did for about 15 minutes, until I thought of something else. That's my cycle, guilt, confess, short relief, rinse and repeat. It's been so hard these past 10 days or so, I restarted my meds (Cymbalta 60mg) and made an appointment to see my therapist again. I guess it just makes me feel a little better to know I'm not the only one who suffers from this. Once a thought implants itself in my brain, it will stay there 24/7. Every minute of the day, I will think about it, and confessing is the only way to alleviate the pain. At this point, my brain is just coming up with little details of things my girlfriend already knows about. It's miserable, I'm a good person and a good boyfriend and I just want to be happy again. Is there a better medication for obsessive thoughts/scanning mind than Cymbalta? I'm open to try absolutely anything.

Last edited by Justinsg08; 08-26-2012 at 06:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
(male)

Justinsg08 HB User
Unhappy Re: Constant need to confess. Ruining my life

Guys, I'd love some feedback or support, I'm going through a really tough time here. I'm really trying to cope by myself and with my parents but some days it's so hard. I laid in bed today and cried for hours, I literally only got out of bed today to see my therapist and take a shower. I've barely been eating, I left school in May around 170 and weighed in at 147 yesterday. I've beaten this before with medication (Cymbalta 30-90 mg) and therapy in 2009 and I'm praying I can do it again. I was really bad a few years ago and eventually felt better, but this time it feels so much worse. I can't figure out if it's ACTUALLY worse, or just feels that way because it's happening now. Anyway, I'm back on Cymbalta about a week now (60mg) and have been having anxiety and 24/7 obsessive thoughts every second of every day.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
(female)

kmelise2277 HB User
Re: Constant need to confess. Ruining my life

I have this problem as well. It's a guilty conscience and your OCD likes to poke at it and fiddle with it. It becomes an "Obsession" for you and you have to compulsively confess. I've had OCD since I was 6, and for most of my obsessions and compulsions, I've had to do CBT and confront whatever would make me anxious if medication didn't help in the long run.

OCD has been linked to Tourettes in some cases because of the sudden compulsion to do things out of your control. But what many people don't know is that it IS in your control, but it's not easy at all. Training your brain to tell your body that you're doing things you don't HAVE to do is not an easy process. The fact that you obsess over confessing everything you do that might be regretful sounds incredibly stressful, and I'm sorry to hear you are going through this.

It sounds like it has caused you a great deal of depression. Just keep your head up, from here on it can only get better. The key is controlling it and gaining the mental strength to combat the obsessions. I've been down your road many times through my life and I know exactly where you stand. Keep up the therapy and your therapist may help you battle those overwhelming thoughts.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:17 AM   #4
(male)

bluefinch HB User
Re: Constant need to confess. Ruining my life

Hi Justinsg08

I've looked at Cymbalta, after seeing it for the first time on your post, and I found that it isn't usually prescribed for obsessive-compulsive disorder. I see it is a selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SSNRI). Another class of anti-depressants, SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors), are usually prescribed for OCD. Try suggesting them to your doctor, and see what he says.

Bluefinch

Closed Thread