It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
(male)

samster1 HB User
Unhappy Focused on my own breathing!

Over the past couple of days, I'm always aware of my own breathing to the point I'm controlling every breath I take unless I'm sleeping. I've had this before but only once in a while (like twice a month). Suddenly, I'm attached to my breathing all the time. The problem does go away when I'm doing things such as listening to music or watching TV or taking a walk. But the moment I have time to think to myself, I start consciously breathing again. I mean, I do have OCD symptoms such as straightening things out, locking doors even when I know they're locked. But this breathing thing is so annoying, sometimes I can't even eat! What should I do to stop focusing on this virtually 24/7?

Last edited by samster1; 08-25-2012 at 11:36 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to samster1:
Charmbracelet81 (08-30-2012)
Old 08-26-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
(male)

Raziel34 HB UserRaziel34 HB User
Re: Focused on my own breathing!

First. Ask yourself why you are focused on your breathing? Why is that ? What's the fear here?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2012, 08:58 AM   #3
(female)

Charmbracelet81 HB User

I'm in your boat Samster1. :/ Sensorimotor OCD isn't talked about much but it's what I have. I thought I was a hypochondriac until I discovered the SMOCD. Right now I am in CBT. What have you tried?

Old 08-31-2012, 12:25 AM   #4
(male)

samster1 HB User

Thanks for the hug charmbracelet81, I need them right now. I've tried taking antidepressants because my doctor saw that I was so down on myself but they haven't worked. I've tried just taking my mind off of the breathing and telling myself it's not a physical problem and that's only made it worse. I'm probably going to to CBT as well and hope it works. Otherwise I'm going to be crazy at this point. Thanks for the reply by the way

The Following User Says Thank You to samster1 For This Useful Post:
Charmbracelet81 (09-03-2012)
Closed Thread