It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 11:30 PM   #1
(female)

ebrown314 HB User
not sure if this is ocd (lip obsession) please read!! :/

hello, so i have been having this problem for a few months you could say. it all started a year or so ago where i was consciously aware of my breathing. it was an obsession where i would monitor every breath i took and felt like i was unable to break free from the thought. i was afraid that it would stay with me forever. then eventually i got over this obsession, but another obsession took over right after it. i was now thinking about my eyes blinking. it was so annoying and the thought just wouldn't get about of my head and i wasn't sure how to express the way i felt to someone i cared about. it was such a bizarre thing and it felt strange that people don't have this issue like i do, since it is an automatic process that we don't control......

after overcoming this issue with my blinking awareness and breathing awareness, i then started worrying about something else.... my lips. it was the weirdest thing. i guess the thought just popped up in my head and i thought "what if i never forget this thought".. basically i think about how my lips/mouth feels when i speak. especially when i say words with "p" or "b" or even "m" in them since my lips are touching and i think about every feeling and movement they make when i talk. i can't seem to speak fluidly anymore it takes soo much effort to pronounce everything. i'm so self conscious about it. it makes speaking so unbearable since i can't seem to speak without thinking about this. my thoughts are often repressed and i say things in my head rather than out loud because of this obsession. i forgot how to just live in the moment and not worry about what i will say next in a conversation.. i tend to stay away from people more often and have become pretty antisocial. which i hate. i've become a bit sad and depressed as a result from this isolation. i'm not sure how to get out of this. it's all because of this obsessive thought and control of my lips when i talk, that i can't seem to get out of my head.

i have been seeing a therapist but couldn't get myself to tell her this weird habit that i have. we seemed to go around the topic because i was afraid she wouldn't be able to help me. i will be seeing someone new soon and will hopefully gain the courage to tell her about it. i just want to know if anyone has had issues like this or the same issue. and how you overcame it? or any advice or insight on this ocd-like thinking.. i'm not sure how else to describe how i feel. i think it's called sensorimotor ocd. whatever it is, i hate it so much i hope you understood what i meant in this post. thank you so much for whomever is reading this and please respond. take care .

The following user gives a hug of support to ebrown314:
writeleft (10-11-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: not sure if this is ocd (lip obsession) please read!! :/

Hello, and welcome to the HealthBoards. We are glad you are here and hopefully we can help you.

The fact that you are in therapy is great, at least you have someone available to speak to about your concerns, old and new.

If you do not feel comfortable speaking to your current therapist, it is good that you have a new one lined up. I encourage you to tell your therapist everything you can about this, and any other concerns you have, as he/she is trained to help you through this. You certainly do not want to isolate yourself any further, and getting a handle on these bahaviors sooner rather than later is always best. There is absolutely no reason to feel badly or ashamed about any of this, we all find different ways to cope with our stress, and when those ways do not help us, we need help to change them to more healthy and easy things that do not interfere with our lives.

Rather than try and label your condition, I would address it head on and ask your therapist for help with this new tic, for lack of a better word. I imagine you will feel much better when you have someone on your side helping you with this.

Best to you and keep posting!

The Following User Says Thank You to writeleft For This Useful Post:
TrainOfThought (10-12-2012)
Closed Thread

Tags
lips, ocd, pure-o, talking