It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
(female)

musiclove HB User
Luvox for OCD and side effects?

I have sever OCD, violent images of hurting others and mental compulsions where I constantly think of how to avoid the images I see. I have been on effexor before and it seemed to help at 225 mg but it made me very shaky and nervous which was bad for my social anxiety. I went almost completely off it, then 13 days ago, I started back on 75 of the effexor xr and 50 of the Luvox. I have been ridiculously shaky and trembly and kind of twitchy. It was really bad at first, and I almost had a few panic attacks. It is a little better now, but I'm not sure if it was the Effexor that did this or the Luvox. I also dont feel any better. I hear it doesn't take full effect til 10 weeks. Thats how it was with the effexor. Just wondering if anyone has had these side effects and what if any medications have helped people with my kind of OCD. It is the worst. I makes me not even want to get out of bed. I stopped it once before, but I can't seem to make it stop again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
(female)

bella18 HB User
Re: Luvox for OCD and side effects?

Hello!!
I suffer from OCD obsessions that are violent, sexual, and just straight up bizarre! I can relate to your violent thoughts. I was born with OCD and I started completing compulsions as a teenager. Since I left my OCD untreated for 10 years, my OCD spiked this past July into hell. I tried Zoloft over the summer that triggered 2 intrusive images and I have not been the same since. I am currently on 100 MG of Luvox and I started the medication on 8-20. I am only a bit dizzy/lethargic when I increase the dose. I have no side effects and no sexual side effects!! I would say I am tired, but I work 60 hours a week and I am going to grad school. So, I am under a lot of stress which triggers my OCD and my exhaustion level. However, I have only been on 100 for 2 weeks. So, I feel like I am still in the beginning phase. It has taken 2 full months to feel better. Some images still get stuck here and there, but I am able to get over them much faster. Plus, they are very distorted which is much better. I used to have a violent thought every second, but now I may have one after 5 hours of being distracted. So, I know the medication is working. I also go to CBT therapy and write out my thoughts. I have even started recording my thoughts and listening back to them. I hope this helps you!! Hang in there! It is a long and difficult journey, but we are the strongest people alive!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
(male)

peterjj2 HB User
Wink Re: Luvox for OCD and side effects?

Whats up!? I have had OCD for as long as I can remember. My therapist told me that I have the worst case he's ever seen (compliment?) anyways I can relate to everything you're saying. Believe me, you're not alone! I have had terrible thoughts/images come into my head and literally believe that they're going to come true. This simply will not happen! Our brains are clever enought to make us believe what we already know is not. I started taking Luvox when i was 15 yrs old. Man the drug is AWESOME! It really really works. I suggest a combination of Luvox and CBT. You won't see the full benefits for a few weeks but it's worth it. My suggestions are to take the pill at the same time everyday and to avoid drinking alcohol. Alcohol offsets the positive benefits, so you might as well throw them in the toilet. Good luck! And remember we're all in this together!!!

Old 11-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
(female)

kind1 HB User
Re: Luvox for OCD and side effects?

I'd been on Luvox for a little while, but it didn't really help me by much at all. It apparently helps others, though Prozac Weekly, the time-released prozac works better for me. (I'm take it 3x a week instead of one time a week due to the ocd.) I also take seroquel (an antipsychotic) at night which is thought to help those with ocd, and it helps me with sleep due to the prozac giving me insomnia. Please do talk with your doctor and/or pharmacist about the side effects of any medication to which you're taking.

I'm not sure if you've had cognitive-behavioral therapy which is administered by either a licensed psychologist or licensed-clinical social worker, but that really helped me to get a handle on certain compulsions (rituals) and for if or when new ocd symptoms arise.

Closed Thread