It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
(male)

JeffThePanicker HB User
Extreme forcing of my will and intention?

Does anyone find themselves trying to achieve success in life and doing so with extreme conscious effort, intention, volition, deliberation, etc. in which this extreme effort actually makes you fail and have great anxiety at the goal that you are trying to accomplish? I have been feeling this problem for years. I wonder if it is an obsession itself. I totally am starting to realize that some things are done best thoughtlessly and some things in life require analysis and conscious effort. That seems to be one of the "gray" areas of life that the OCD never let me see before.

Imagine if we put extreme conscious effort into walking (something that requires little conscious intention) once we have already learned it. We'd probably start to fumble after a while of trying to do it so consciously. This is not saying that I obsess about how to consciously walk; I am just trying give you an idea of how foolish it is to do everything with extreme forms of intention and deliberation.

I feel like I have such a unique worry as described above. Has anyone else had the problem I have described of acting with too much conscious effort? BTW, this particular problem has lurked strongly in me for 21 years now.

Closed Thread