It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 06:21 AM   #1
(female)

Fiona123x HB User
Scalp picking !! OCD !! Help

I am 20 years of age and for the past couple of years I just can't seem to stop picking my scalp, sometimes I do it untill it bleeds! I never notice how long I'm doing it as it seems I'm just in a trance! I've read about this before and a few people said you can do it from anxiety/stress but I don't feel I suffer with any of ten problems! I don't no why I pick it but its like when I do I get kind of a buzz if I pick a big scab off. I no this is disgusting but I just can't stop it's like a really bad addiction and I ain't explain why I do it! I really hate it because I always have to wash my hair just so no1 sees I have been picking it. I can be sitting there then next minute I realise my hand is in my head and my nails and really scratching my head! I think I have began to get headaches and I'm not sure if this is related to what I do, of any1 else suffers with this it would be great to get some feedback, thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2012, 07:04 AM   #2
(female)

USmiss HB User
Re: Scalp picking !! OCD !! Help

Hi Fiona. Glad you came here for advice. I myself have been struggling with scalp picking since I was in grade school and I am now 23. It is in fact related to OCD and anxiety. I see myself doing it more in times of stress or even times of doing nothing. I think one reason my problem began is because in elementary school, I was really scared of getting lice since that is something that happens a lot then. So I kind of started getting paranoid about feeling itches in my scalp so then I'd scratch. And I'd check my scalp for any sign of lice too. But then I just started doing it as a stress reliever. In college, it got really bad. I started picking my skin too and would do this a lot when I studied because I had anxiety about studying "right" so I could get A's. I would get up from studying, wash my hands to try and make me stop picking, then I'd end up doing it again. Anyways, I want you to know that you are not alone. As gross and shameful as it sounds, it is more common than you think. My only advice is that you analyze the situations you are most likely to do this behavior in and then implement some other type of competing behavior such as playing with a stress ball or some behavior that keeps your hands busy. You can try medication as they claim anti-depressants are supposed to help but I can't say they have ever helped me, though they might help someone else. Good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
head, help asap, ocd, scalp picking