It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
(female)

Lillymz HB User
Obsession about appearance

Hello everyone, I was wondering has anyone else have this. I have the normal OCD however it all started off with me obsessing over my body when I was 9 and I am now 19 it has progressed worse each year it has stopped me from having relationships I cant physically make myself do it because how conscious I am about my self I am always thinking im not the "perfect" version of what I should be and until im not I cant be with anyone because they wont accept me and no matter what I do I cant change it! At 16 my compulsion to all this was to make myself sick so I thought I had bulimia but it seems like it was all OCD because when I stopped doing it everything else worsened e.g. germs and checking and obsessive thoughts about pretty much everything and intrusive thoughts etc. I really dont know what to do I dont know what could help me? I tried CBT for my obsession with looks only before I knew it was OCD but it didnt help it just depressed me because no matter what they told me nothing changed how I felt. Has anyone else gone through this as strongly ? and has it helped please help me and share your stories I would appreciate it very much because I really am sick of it all I feel so alone and I want to change it

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

dksea HB Userdksea HB Userdksea HB User
Re: Obsession about appearance

What you are describing sounds very much like Body dysmorphic disorder which has many similarities to OCD and can occur side by side with OCD. I'm sorry to hear your first attempt at CBT didn't fare well, but I urge you not to give up! You should seek out a medical professional who has experience in OCD and/or BDD its possible the previous attempt at CBT was not being done properly to address your particular problems. Medication can also help with both OCD and BDD and you should work with a qualified psychiatrist who can help determine if that would be the right choice for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #3
(female)

Lillymz HB User

Thank you for taking the time out to reply to my message I appreciate it greatly! Hmm maybe so because I literally feel like I have hit a dead end and unless I change what I want to change I wont be happy, its not something that I am imagining though there are actual faults that the thing. When I went to my GP shes known about all this before she realised it was OCD but she said nothing about BDD? would CBT be able to refer me to who ever if needed and if it doesnt work ?

Old 01-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

dksea HB Userdksea HB Userdksea HB User

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is used for treating BDD so hopefully that can help, but you might want to look for a therapist who has experience treating it so that you can be as effective as possible in your recovery.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillymz View Post
its not something that I am imagining though there are actual faults that the thing.
everyone has "faults" but it's your perception of these that is unhealthy, as you said, you don't feel you can be with anyone because you wouldn't be accepted, but if we all had to be some perfect version of ourselves, no one would ever have relationships or get married because perfection is an unrealistic and unattainable goal. What this comes down to is how you see yourself and how you judge yourself as not measuring up and I think you need to see a therapist to learn to like yourself and accept yourself as you are. You have an unrealistic and skewed view of how you "need" to be. When you like yourself, you don't "need" to be anything but who you are.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #6
(female)

thered HB User

Hi there, I suffer from the same thing you do, and have since I was young. I was anorexic in grade... six I think? I think it is in fact body dysmorphic disorder that accompanies OCD. I have been able to get into relationships, but they do not last because I cannot control the way I think and feel about my body. So... you are not alone. As for fixing the problem, you should probably find another place that does CBT and I should do the same. You will get through this and meet an incredible person and be happy. Do not give up.

Closed Thread