It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
(female)

thered HB User
hello all. i have ocd. some of you do too. it's okay.

Hey everyone,

I am new to this website, I came across it as I was searching on Google for a way to consciously make my showers shorter.

As you may have guessed by that statement, I have OCD. I have the particular kind that makes me terrified of germs so I clean extensively, and I also count when I do many activities. I was diagnosed by a psychiatrist in November 2012 (finally!!), after suffering from it since I was a little girl. The earliest memories I have are of me as a little kid pulling my socks up over my knees and crying when they didn't sit right, having to tie my shoes in a perfect, and I mean perfect bow and then double knot them so they wouldn't come undone, and needing to have my pants above my belly button or I would cry.

Over the years, trauma occurred in my life and my symptoms became worse. I developed depression and actually more recently (2011), anxiety. For years now, I have had two hour (for some time it was three hours) long shower sessions. I brush my teeth, making sure that I am always slurping up 8 slurps of water each time I bring the toothbrush to my mouth, then I must floss thoroughly, and use Listerine. Fifteen minutes later I clean my nails and file them, and then get in the shower where I begin by washing my hands with soap. I shampoo excessively, then put conditioner in, then wash my body excessively, then rinse everything off and wash my face. Sounds pretty normal right? Well, by the time I am done this routine, I have been in the shower for about 30 to 40 minutes. I do this every day. And because I do this everyday, some days I am just too exhausted to do it so I won't shower that day because my skin needs a break, and I need a break. Well, then I make sure that the day after I've slept in my bed without showering or even simply without having washed my face the night before because I was too tired, I wash those bed sheets and put them back on. So as a result, I wash my bed sheets about three times a week.

I am struggling, but I am positive. When I was diagnosed with OCD, depression, and anxiety in November 2012, I was on the birth control pill for irregular periods. Sorry men, I don't mean to make things weird for you but I need to help the ladies out there if I can. Well the psychiatrist wanted to put me on prozac, but I wanted to be all natural and healthy again so told him I wanted to go off of my birth control pill first, to see if that would change anything. Ladies, my depression is gone and my anxiety has lessened. There was a time in 2012 not so long ago, that I lived in fear every single day that someone was going to kill me. Now, after going off the pill the only thing I suffer from is OCD and mild anxiety. Another great thing to try is working out. In January 2013 I started to dedicate my free time to health and fitness, and let me tell you, it's a high. It relaxes you, makes you happy, and gives you energy. Those are my two pieces of advice for now.

Like I said, I'm still struggling with OCD, and at the moment looking for a way to shorten my showers so I can stop over washing my skin. I'm here to support others, and get support in return. Thank you for reading. Cheers!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
anxiety, depression, ocd help, ocd(germs), positive