It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
(male)

DF2012 HB User
Obsessing, how long can this last?

It's Been 5 months now, obsessing over same things, harming, and associated thoughts about loved ones, I guess the anxiety has calmed down a bit over it but it's now at stage I just cant remember what it felt like before all this, My Cbt therapist says to not go online but I'm just curious to see people's thoughts on how long this can carry on, I realise everybody is different but surely the brain must get tired/bored of this yeah? I'm scared what my brain can think next, I feel like I'm scanning for the most horrendous thoughts possible, ITs like a nasty addiction, when I feel kinda normal I almost go hunting for anxiety, intrusive thoughts, does anybody here who has these type of thoughts have an insight into how long they often last, can it be possible to continue for years? Even if it's the same stuff? I just feel like im hooked and cant let go, im also on citalopram but 10mg a day, thinking of imcreaskng dosage. Any thoughts are appreciated? heers, David

The Following User Says Thank You to DF2012 For This Useful Post:
iloveblynn (02-01-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: Obsessing, how long can this last?

those thoughts will go on as long as you are willing to entertain them!
when they start, immediately re-direct.....even if it means saying STOP (out loud) and force yourself to think about something else!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
(female)

Cashew8411 HB User

I would increase your medication. I also take citalopram. I was on 40mg but recently decreased it to 20mg b/c I found out I was pregnant. I have very similar symptoms and I hate them. I would talk to your doctor about increasing the dosage.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
(female)

bella18 HB User

Hi David,
I suffer from the exact same kind of OCD as you with minor compulsions. I go to CBT and I am on 300 MG of Luvox. I would recommend that you go to a psychiatrist and get on the highest dose of an antidepressant that treats OCD. My psychiatrist wants me to get on Abilify 2 MG next. I am a little hesitant, but if it will stop the intrusive thoughts, I am willing to try. I will give you some techniques that help me. First of all, OCDers know that these are just thoughts and not reality. 1. Get a piece of paper. 2. Write out any intrusive thought that comes to your mind. 3. Rate your anxiety level from 1-10. 4. Challenge them. For instance, write: I have never harmed anyone, I have never even punched someone! 5. Rate your anxiety level from 1-10.
Keep a thought journal everyday. This will really help. Once you start challenging them, they will decrease overtime. Then, you will become immune to them. Next step, is to record your thoughts. I record my intrusive thoughts on my iPhone and I replay them over and over until I am not anxious anymore. Also, I state what is the worst and best outcome? Worst= I keep ruminating. Best= I know it is my OCD and not me. My OCD lies. OCD is a true beast in itself especially with harm/morbid obsessions. I can finally say that I have beat my "images". However, I still have random phrases that pop into my head relating to harm or bizarre phrases of harm. For example, "I have to k*** the chickens". It sounds so weird, but it constantly repeats in my brain. I know this is my OCD so I call it out on it. Now, that I am getting better, I have longer periods of "normalness". When this occurs, I freak out and I say, "OMG! I have OCD! Where are the thoughts?" So, it's almost like I am making them appear. I totally get what you are saying about "hunting" for them. I think we are used to them now and when they are not there we become really anxious. We are patiently waiting for "doom" to come to our brains. I am always scared to wake up the next day because I never know what my OCD is going to come up with. It is extremely difficult, but manageable as long as you seek the right treatment. I am brave and strong. You have to keep telling yourself positive statements. Keep yourself busy and distracted. Try listening to music and do deep breathing exercises. Exercise really helps and going out with friends/family will help too. I find that accepting the brain disorder is the most important step. Once you realize what it is and what is going on with your brain then you can wake up and understand it is not you. It is your silly brain disorder! I hope this helps! I was born this way and I have to accept it. It is a small part of me, but it does not define me or YOU! Please keep in touch!

The following user gives a hug of support to bella18:
paisleyprincess (02-26-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
(male)

DF2012 HB User

Thanks all, yeah I think I'll up the medication I just can't concentrate, have had a headache for 5 months, feels like it's 24/7, I just wish I was stronger and didnt chase thoughts, I sometimes will be in normal conversation etc and just stop to worry/introduce bad thought, i find it hard speaking to people and staying in present moment, cbt tells me i need to focus on bridge of peoples nose when i feel im
About to start scanning for thoughs, have also tried repeating thoughts so i get used to them, think thats working, I hope it gets better..I wish I could just laugh at thoughts but I feel like I hunt them down to give me anxiety, weird,

Closed Thread