It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #1
(female)

Sotiredofit HB User
Ocd, I don' t believe it is an illness...

It seems crazy, but i don't believe ocd is an illness. I have read a lot about, I see that my symptoms coincide with the things I read, but I'm still have doubts. Is it part of the illness? Somebody feels this way? The thoughts seems so real

Old 02-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

dksea HB Userdksea HB Userdksea HB User
Re: Ocd, I don' t believe it is an illness...

OCD is most definitely an illness caused (at least in part) by a malfunction in certain areas of the brain. This has been backed up by extensive study of patients with OCD. Essentially our brains malfunction in two key ways. First the filter between our conscious mind and unconscious mind is broken. Thoughts occur in the unconscious mind outside the control of the conscious mind, that is true for all people. Random thoughts happen all the time. In the minds of most people these thoughts are filtered such that one seldom even notices the unpleasant ones. In those with OCD the filtering is less effective. Second, our brains get stuck in anxiety mode when these thoughts reach our conscious mind, thus causing the obsessive anxiety to occur.

The thoughts are real in the sense that they occur. But in the sense that they represent our actual desires and wants, they are not.

Having a thought pop in to your head does not mean you choose that thought. Our brains are constantly processing sensory data and trying to interpret it, in addition to making connections between this data and past experiences. This happens without conscious effort, the same way your heart beats without you making it do so. The information is then filtered and fed in to your conscious mind where you can process it deliberately.

Think of it like mail. Mail delivery happens without you having to cause it to happen (unless you work for the post office I suppose ). Every day you receive mail, some of it interesting, some of it useless. You filter the mail, keeping the stuff with meaning, and throwing out (recycling hopefully) the junk. You don't ASK for the junk, the junk just happens. If you get an add for guns in the mail it does not mean you want to buy a gun for example. Our brains are the same, we receive thoughts all the time, some of them useful, some of them junk. OCD people's minds have a hard time filtering out and throwing away the junk.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
(female)

Sotiredofit HB User
Unhappy Re: Ocd, I don' t believe it is an illness...

The problem is that i feel compel to think bad things, almost if i have to. It makes me feel reaaly bad, unworthy, sinner. I would like to feel free from disease.

Last edited by ms_mod; 02-02-2013 at 08:20 AM.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

dksea HB Userdksea HB Userdksea HB User

Religious and blasphemous thoughts are a not uncommon form for OCD to take. You are not alone in having these same fears and doubts. You can get better. OCD isn't curable but it is treatable. Both Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and medication are effective in helping you manage OCD, and can be used in combination.

The best thing you can do is seek out professional help and begin your recovery. Educating yourself about OCD will help too.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-09-2013 at 12:30 AM.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #5
(female)

paisleyprincess HB Userpaisleyprincess HB User

The bad thoughts are OCD thoughts. Please know you can feel better. But you must get the help you need.

Closed Thread