It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
(female)

emy84 HB User
solution to my ocd/pstd???

Ok, im having difficulty working out the best route for my issues. my stuff isnt really somthing i can label and i just need advice and opinions. im gonna try make this short as i can. So i have had some issues in the past that are so bad, i cant even go into it. my way of dealing with it, is moving house. everytime i moved, i felt like next chapter of my life and each move i progressed until, i sorta left my neighbourhood to go 10-20mins up the road but still visited frequently, finally i moved to a place and felt like i had come to a point where i felt good enough to live a life and i was feeling great, as long as i could stay there id be ok but then i was made to move from this place and by that time, i had lived everywhere in the neighbourhood and i didnt know where else to go, because i cant go back to the same spot as before. but i love my neighbourhood and went through a difficult time, i left to go to a different suburb not far from the current one, but it made a huge difference and i was miserable. finally i went back to the first area i lived at ( second was where i was at the house and didnt want to leave) although it is a new spot in the old neighbourhood, i feel like its kinda backwards and my mind isnt settled with it, because i feel like i cant tick this one off, like i look at every house and spot and can tick it off but this one, im having a hard time with. should i go and move again to the place i was at where i was happy but in a differnt spot of course although in some ways it is less convinient, its more money that i cant really afford and its a hassle to get to my sons school, but i can always change schools or put up with being poor as long as my health is good, right?. or stay here and try to be ok. i made a mess of everything because i couldve moved down the road from where i was and everythign woulda been fine but i wanted the money side to be ok too and i just cant get it all perfect and now i feel dissapointed. health is number one. its important for me to be ok because i have to look after my son and i guess for me its about moving foward, when i move and leaving past behind. please help. its life and death and im not worried bout remembering my past its more about moving foward. and my mind needs to be ok with it or im screwed.

Last edited by ms_mod; 02-03-2013 at 06:46 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

dksea HB Userdksea HB Userdksea HB User
Re: solution to my ocd/pstd???

I don't really have any experience with PTSD so I don't really have any advice for you there.

From an OCD perspective though, the best thing you can do to overcome OCD is to face your fears head on. Its hard, because it means letting yourself feel anxiety and overcoming the urges to avoid it or try and negate it through compulsions. You can learn to do this on your own, but its usually better if you can do it with support and help from others, especially trained medical professionals. Not only will they be able to help you build a long term, workable plan, but they'll be able to help you tailor it to your particular needs and worries and fears. If you can at all manage to do it I can't recommend strongly enough seeking out someone with experience treating OCD and PTSD. They will help you get diagnosed and target your treatment. It may combine therapy and medication or just therapy alone, but the sooner you can start working at it, the sooner you can get better.

If you can't do that for whatever reason, or you just want to learn more, I'd suggest starting with the Anxiety Center on HealthBoards linked above. The International OCD Foundation also has a lot of resources and links to resources on OCD including a database of providers to help you find someone to work with. Even if you can't find entries there, I'm guessing that Brisbane, being a major city will have people available who are experienced in treating these disorders. There are also numerous books and workbooks you can use for self-directed therapy.

Closed Thread