HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/)
-   -   COPING WITH OCD - tips? tricks? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/940513-coping-ocd-tips-tricks.html)

paisleyprincess 02-25-2013 10:52 AM

COPING WITH OCD - tips? tricks?

How do you handle the obsessional thinking and the time-consuming rituals when OCD takes hold? Please know that in sharing your coping strategies you are helping others through a very difficult time. If we work together, we can combat the fear and confusion that is so much a part of the disorder. Thanks very much!

TrainOfThought 02-25-2013 12:29 PM

Re: COPING WITH OCD - tips? tricks?

Hi. After receiving a successful CBT therapy, I have learn that one of the most important things is to not fight or ruminate over those intrusive thoughts but to just let them through, they are just thoughts they cannot harm you. Labeling those intrusive thoughts as OCD thoughts and not as your own has help me a lot, when ever I got an intrusive thought I labelled them as a disorder and not my own desire this will eliminate the confusion .

yingyang1 03-09-2013 06:19 PM

idk, when i first got ocd , i was about 15 at the time and the obssessive thinking and compulsive behaviour were both an issue. For some reason the obessive thinking seems to have gone down on the most part although it has acted up recently over an old relationship i had years ago with someone and feelings of regret and guilt. It shows that the ocd can work off what we care about?

Ive noticed recently that when i dont feed a thought, it seems to act up less. Maybe something like meditation mgiht help, someone was commenting on another thread about chanting with prayer type beads and how it helps quieten thier obessive thinking. Going for long walks might help take some of that energy away from us, reduces our stress levels which might encourage obsessive thinking. I found when i did something physical i was more up beat and sociable. Exercise helps clear the mind and distracts us too?

bella18 04-21-2013 10:20 AM

OCDers are extremely strong people since we suffer from these awful intrusive thoughts (obsessions). I have had OCD since I was 15 and I have had 2 really bad episodes. One with compulsions and one with obsessions. When my obsessions started due to grad school, I knew I needed to see a therapist. I went to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy which really helped me. I would write down my thoughts and challenge them. Also, I would record my thoughts on my Iphone and challenge them. Then, I would listen back and laugh at how silly they really are. I have to separate myself from the OCD thoughts bc I know they are not real, they are just part of my severe anxiety disorder. We have to remember that there is something wrong with our brain and there is nothing wrong with us. I believe medication helps, but it is not the answer. I am on Luvox, Abilify, and Klonopin. They are working, but I still have OCD "episodes". Just remember that these thoughts are just your OCD playing tricks on you. We do not want them there. No matter how horrible they are, we will never act on them. We are actually very intelligent people. So keep believing in yourself and stay strong! We will fight through this!! No one really knows how strong we actually are!!

missk6 04-24-2013 07:34 AM

i have had OCD since i was 12, it kinda stopped for a few year (or rather it wasn't as severe) then came back with a vengeance last year. i still suffer now with relationship ocd. as another mentioned on here, meditation and yoga are good relief, as is running, or just doing something you need to strive for and gives you a sense of achievement. i was going through a particuarly bad bout of ocd about a month ago and my bf suggested 'pet therapy' so i ended up with a hamster, and it honestly alleviated many of my symptoms. (ok so my ocd did initially try to convince me i would hurt her in some way) but it works! i think its because youre caring for something small. it works for depression in some cases too. just waiting for cbt now and taking it a step at a time. its good if you have someone non judgemental and caring to sound off to.

paisleyprincess 04-24-2013 10:57 AM

sounds like you are a lucky lady....'pet' therapy actually sounds like a great idea....continued success with your treatment and hope you are feeling better very soon!