It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Occupational Health & Safety Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2006, 03:09 PM   #1
(male)

wick98 HB User
Feeling Weird. Really Worried.

I posted this on a forum, earlier today:

Between the end of August and the beginning of February, I worked at just basically working on car parts, doing inspections, and the air quality was pretty sub-par, due to the fact that they used propane-powered fork lifts (indoors) and also cut/melted plastic parts in the back of the warehouse (I worked back there for a bit, before changing jobs.)

I got layed off on February 2nd, and I've started feeling weird since shortly afterwards. What worries me is the fact that it could be an affect from working there, or it could be mono (which I supposedly had at the end of grade 11, two years ago, although it never showed up on a blood test. They said that it sometimes doesn't, and I showed all of the systems, except a painful throat.)

So, to my symptoms:

- I'm always tired, even if I've slept a lot. I'm not incredibly tired all the time, but most of the time, I'd have no problem laying down and taking a nap.

- Dizzy spells: Sometimes when I get tired, I feel weird, or dizzy. I don't feel like I'm completely, "with it." That's led to me not watching a lot of movies, or anything, because I always like to have my full attention towards a film, or something.

- Weird taste in mouth: Whenever I get tired, it seems like a lot of phlegm or something always rises in my throat. I don't cough it up, but it sits there, and I can taste it. My nose also gets congested in a weird way.

- Headaches: Whenever I worked at PIC, I'd occasionally get weird headaches. Those headaches would just come, last for a couple of seconds, and then go. Other people experienced them as well, so I'm not the only one who got them. Those have pretty much gone away, but I also sometimes got weird headaches where I'd get some weird sensation in a spot on my head (I likened it to a "wet spot," for some reason, because that's what the feeling is like.) Those have occurred somewhat since I've been layed off, and have started feeling like this. They're the main thing that scare me.

There are only a few things that I can think of this actually being. Those things include mono, some weird side effect from working at PIC (therefore, I'll sue their asses), or a low iron or vitamin count.

Does anyone have any ideas on what this could be?

(I'm going to try to get it checked out tonight. My Mom made me an appointment with our family doctor, but he's got 2500 patients, and it takes over a month to get in to see him. So, my appointment isn't until April 21. I don't want to wait that long.)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Administrator; 12-11-2010 at 11:28 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2006, 05:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Feeling Weird. Really Worried.

if you really feel this is a much more urgent issue,going to the er may be an option.you really do need to have some pretty in depth blood work ups done to check the blood for anything out of the norm that could be there as a result of the environmental atmosphere you were working in.Depending on how well this place was ventilated would be the real issue as far as any accumulated toxins that may be inside of your body.

i would actually contact OSHA.this place actually governs the workplace and any actul safety or work/health hazards.it is a governmental entity that should be listed in the phone book under governmental listings.I really would give them a call first before doing anything to see just what they reccomend,they would also be able to answer any questions actually related to your workplace environment.If the place you were woking at has any issues that are not up to par,such as the lack of good ventilation,they could be given a fine that they will HAVE to pay and also pay to have the workplace problems fixed.

This would really be the best first step here.they will be able to tell you in much more exact terms just what your rights are and what to do as far as more specific testing.Just give them a call tomorrow and explain your current situation.this could be related to your working conditions or it could be totally unrelated,but at any rate,you need to find the reason for your ongoing symptoms.I do hope you can get this all resolved soon.FB

Old 03-20-2006, 10:42 PM   #3
(male)

wick98 HB User

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Is the place that you mentioned Canadian, or American?

The place definitely was not well-ventilated. They had about four vents set up, throughout the warehouse, although they had them closed about half of the time. They were all located on one side of the building, and there were no fans to circulate the air. Mainly, the petition that we were working on was for them to work on creating better ventilation, which would lead to better air quality.

If I find out that my health problem is a result of their stupidity and lack of caring for their employees, then they'd better call their lawyers.

Old 03-21-2006, 06:37 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

OSHA is in the US but if you live in Canada,there should be some comparable entity who governs the workplace conditions just like OSHA does in the US.If the Canadian phone books are similar to the ones here,there should be some sort of governmental listings in the front of your phone book that has some sort of relation to workplace safety.Just look thru them and see what is there.Or maybe just try googling something like"canadian workplace safety,government"or something like that,it would most likely give you some ideas as who to go to for your specific needs.Good luck,FB

Old 03-22-2006, 11:59 PM   #5
(male)

wick98 HB User

I just got back from the ER, about thirty minutes ago. The doctor was relatively thorough, and he had me doing some random tests, including squeezing his fingers, walking in a straight line with one foot in front of the other, and following his finger with my eyes, when he moved it around. I believe I passed them all. And, he also got them to do some blood work on me.

Most of the blood work came back positive, but by the time we left, the main one that we want the results of (the one regarding carbon dioxide), hadn't come back yet. Those results aren't going to be in until 3am (it's 2 right now.) We left at 1, and he said he'd call us if it cane back positive.

Closed Thread