i've been sick for several months
and i've been sick since school started technically
and i've also started this job
and tonight i had to mix some chemicals that i have never done before
usually someone else does it for me
but im still in my station
we mixed Spic and Span, Dawn, some chlorine disinfecting tablets, degreaser, and bleach
i've had some serious throat issues
my lymph nodes are swollen terribly
and my throat is severely swollen
is this a problem?
does anyone know what might be wrong?
i can barely swallow, my tonsils are swollen, and i have 4 lymph nodes on the back of my neck that hurt
what should i do?
actually mixing chlorine with many many different things can create a sort of chemical reaction(usually a noxious or toxic type gas) with certain chemicals.it is just a highly danagerous chemical to mix with many others,moreso than just about any other household chemical we keep in our homes.i really don't know just what is actually in spic and span so i really cannot tell you about it.but you DO need to speak with someone who does,and that would be your states local poison control center.it should be listed somwhere like inside the front cover of your phone book or the first couple of pages,or just call information.you really do also need to have yourself checked out just to see what is really causing your symptoms.it could be a totally seperate issue or it could be something that has been made much worse by the many chemicals you have been exposed to.you just need to see your doc.and of course,call that poison control center and just ask them the questions you asked here.they have a huge database of like every chemical known to man in their computer systems.they also know just what will react with what.this really is the best place for chemical answers.answering chemical questions is just what they are there for and what they do.they would be able to tell you with much more certainty just what is and is not a risk to your respiratory health.from what you have described it really sounds like you could have burned your throat to some degree.this does need checking out soon.good luck and please keep me posted on how you are doing,K? FB
Certain chemicals should never be mixed with chlorine bleach. Dawn contains one such chemical, and the label specifically says not to mix it with bleach.
It's good advice to check with Poison Control. That cleaning mixture is toxic and might indeed be causing your health problems.
I don't know what you're cleaning, but I'm sure that concoction is overkill. Dawn and Spic and Span are powerful degreasers, so there's no need to add a third degreaser to the mix. One of those is plenty. Bleach is the most powerful disinfectant there is; there's absolutely no need to add disinfectant tablets as well. One of those is plenty.
Whoever is in charge of the cleaner "recipe" needs to be told how dangerous and poisonous it is. Ask the people at Poison Control if they can notify the boss of that, or how you might go about doing it yourself. If you don't think you can make that kind of wave without losing your job, well... you probably need to find another one anyway. You would be putting your health at serious risk if you continue to be exposed to those cleaner fumes.
By mixing all these chemicals you may have released hazardous gases and it can cause the throat to swell shut. There was this lady who mixed bleach with an over-the-counter liquid cleaner and her throat became severly swollen that she needed emergency tracheotomy. You need to go to the E.R asap.
I am not a doctor but i have a little experience with chemicals, i work in a fast food restaraunt in britain and we use many of the same chamicals you described and we have a strict set of rules for using chemicals, i am assuming you have them too as the manufacturer is required to give training to at least 1 person in your workplace, they should not have told you or even let you mix chemicals
the first rule of using cleaning chemicals is not to mix them, and the advice normally given if you do is to go straight to a GP or MD or whatever you call a doctor, it might be best to go to A+E or ER as cleaning chemicals use some ingredients dangerous to health and can create nasty fumes if mixed, you will need to tell them what chemicals you used and the manufacturer of the chamicals, this will help them to understand what is wrong with you
Gosh yeah you have a problem..
I'd head straight to the hospital emergancy if that was me. Never ever mix those chemicals. Thats whats causing you health problems. Doesn't sound like yr workplace has health & safety officers, I'd seriously be getting yr throat looked at by a doctor. You got great advice from everyone here.. Plaese take it, so you can take care of you..
thank you all so much
im definately going to do as you all have suggested
tonight i recieved a list of the chemicals that we mix at work
and tomorrow after school i will call Poison Control
but at school i will talk to my chemistry teacher and maybe she can give me a little info as well
then i will call my doctor and give him a heads up on what's going on
i got my test results from the doctor
has nothing to do with the chemicals at work
i have no idea of what the hell it really is
im "showing signs of Epstein Barr Disease"
if anyone can explain to me what it is
i would greatly appreciate it
and my white blood count is like 15,000 again