It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Occupational Health & Safety Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2003, 08:29 AM   #1

sarah_december HB User
Post dangerous workplace

I've posted on this topic before and everyone gave me good advice to talk to my boss and let him know I'm pregnant and that I'm concerned about the safety where I work. I did that and he seemed very supportive and promised he would make sure safety was taken care of. However, since it seems nothing has changed.
See, I work in a laboratory (I work in the office portion, not the lab) in an old building. I smell chemicals all the time b/c of poor ventilation. The scientists (educated people that should know better) also seem to be very careless. For example, they go into the company kitchen with their labcoats on, potential contaminating any food and fail to follow simple lab safety procedures. I have discussed this with the person in charge of safety several times and he has been somewhat helpful, but not nearly enough to reassure me. I think everyone thinks I'm overreacting.
My dr. has told me that if I discuss this with employer and things do not change, I should consider quitting. I would do this in a heartbeat if I knew I could live on no salary and no health insurance. I've considered going on my DH's insurance, but it would be extremely expensive b/c of out-of-network costs and I love my dr. and do not want to change again. I feel so guilty knowing where I work could harm my baby and so powerless to do anything about it. Mainly, I posted about this b/c I need to vent, but if anyone has some advice on this, I could really use it b/c I'm am so stressed out. I'm at my desk crying as I type.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2003, 11:53 AM   #2

LinseyM HB User
Hi, you poor thing. Lots of smiles go out to you. Maybe you should bring it up with your employer again. I would ask him if he has made any efforts to change things. Maybe that will put some heat on him. Also, what about contacting the health department? They may be able to help you out. There has to be a Labor law in your state that would apply to this. Maybe you could do a search on that on the net. If so, print it out and show it to your boss. And if none of this works, I would start to look for another job. You never know what could be out there for you. I know searching while pregnant isn't easy, but it may be best for the baby! Good luck to you sweetie!

Closed Thread