It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board

Worried, afraid and feeling helpless

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-18-2017, 09:30 AM   #16
Careful1
(female)

Careful1 HB User
Re: Worried, afraid and feeling helpless

Saw surgeon yesterday, he is sending me for an ultrasound and so I'm waiting for them to call me with that appointment.
The numbness has gotten much much worse and I don't know if it's related or is a problem of its own. It's the left side of my back from under the shoulder blade down and goes slightly into my side. About 20 mins after I got up this morning my left hand is now numb. The going to sleep kind but mostly on the outside and my little finger and the outside of my arm. I am really really frustrates at this point. I had an MRI of my lumbar spine June of last year for a herniated disc. There are Hemangiomas at my T11 and L2. I don't know if having those can cause this or not. The only numbness I ever had other then this problem is my right leg but I know that's caused by my disc herniation at my L5-S1

The following user gives a hug of support to Careful1:
Mary0035 (05-18-2017)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2017, 02:39 PM   #17
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User

Dear Careful1,

A surgeon seldom will send anyone out to get massage or PT. Surgeons make a living doing surgery.

The numbness can be from being out of shape, as muscles can and do pinch nerves till it causes numbness or pain that is crippling. Have you consulted a good physical therapist?

I know this from my own personal experience.

Last edited by YaYagirl; 05-19-2017 at 02:43 PM.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:55 PM   #18
Careful1
(female)

Careful1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaYagirl View Post
Dear Careful1,

A surgeon seldom will send anyone out to get massage or PT. Surgeons make a living doing surgery.

The numbness can be from being out of shape, as muscles can and do pinch nerves till it causes numbness or pain that is crippling. Have you consulted a good physical therapist?

Thank you for your reply. I wasn't refered to surgeon about the numbness, I was refered to him for a lump in my left rib area that I found a couple weeks before Easter. The numbness started around May 6th and has been constant ever since. I do not know if it's related to the lump or if it's a problem of its own. It's on the left side of my spine from the shoulder blade down and it extends partially into my left side level with where the lump is in the front.

I have had a few visits since the tingling and numbness started with the chiropractor which so far hasn't helped. I went and saw my orthopedic Dr who sees me for my disc herniation in my low back and he sent me back to my PCP. He told me I needed a chest x ray but I had one on May 1st and it was normal. My PCP did an x ray of my thoracic spine on Wednesday and it was fine, he says next step is MRI which he ordered on Thursday but it's gonna take up to 10 days for my insurance to approve it so they gave me an appointment for May 26th. I'm tired off all these appointments but I'm ready to know what's going on with me.

Last edited by Careful1; 05-19-2017 at 02:56 PM.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:00 PM   #19
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User

Dear Careful1,

Yes I remember about your lump. I have enjoyed and appreciated the benefit of chiropractory for over 50 years. However, Chiros are definitely not physical therapists, and are not permitted to act as PTs, by law.

Strained muscles can sometimes present as lumps. I know from personal experience. I hope your lump is nothing proven not to be anything more serious.

Best wishes for finding out the source of the lump and for appropriate treatment.

Last edited by YaYagirl; 05-19-2017 at 11:02 PM.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:29 PM   #20
Careful1
(female)

Careful1 HB User

Quote:
Dear Careful1,

Yes I remember about your lump. I have enjoyed and appreciated the benefit of chiropractory for over 50 years. However, Chiros are definitely not physical therapists, and are not permitted to act as PTs, by law.

Strained muscles can sometimes present as lumps. I know from personal experience. I hope your lump is nothing proven not to be anything more serious.

Best wishes for finding out the source of the lump and for appropriate treatment.
I went to the chiropractor because years ago I had a numb spot on my back on the opposite (not the same as what it feels like this time) but I was hoping it was the same thing because it was an easy fix, it was one of my ribs displaced but he checked and it wasn't that...

Thanks for the advice for physical therapy, I will set something up on Monday. I am willing to try whatever to get rid of this feeling. I will know about the lump next week as I go for ultrasound on Tuesday..

Old 05-22-2017, 01:07 AM   #21
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

[QUOTE=Careful1;....I will know about the lump next week as I go for ultrasound on Tuesday..[/QUOTE]

Hi

Is there any news?

Old 05-22-2017, 06:06 AM   #22
Careful1
(female)

Careful1 HB User

Quote:
Hi

Is there any news?
No, I I go for ultrasound on 2marro. Everything is still the same symptom wise.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:00 AM   #23
Careful1
(female)

Careful1 HB User

Quote:
Dear Careful1,

Hi YaYagirl

Did you have numbness like I describe? Sometimes feels like when your foot goes to sleep but on your back? If yes, what did your turn out to be? It's now been since May 6th that it started and for the most part it is present. I have a herniated disc at my L5 S1 and depending on what position I am in it causes numbness in my right leg and a burning pain. My Dr told me that it wouldn't be causing the numbness in my upper back..

Last edited by Careful1; 05-22-2017 at 10:03 AM.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:39 AM   #24
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes I have had numbness like you described, and I still get all sorts of random different kinds of pains and numbness in all sorts of areas. and yes I have had it happen in a foot, or leg or hand or arm or back or just about any place. Hopefully they find nothing wrong. Which wouldn't mean you have no swelling or pain, but would mean it can be helped by getting your body in shape.

Frankly I don't do get in shape myself; I admit I am lax in what I should do. I know that we need to regularly do gentle stretches and exercises to avoid cramping and muscles knotting up, causing numbness and or pain. If we don't take care of our bodies then we can expect pain and swelling, etc. to occur at random.

I sincerely hope you learn that you have no tumor or anything serious.

Last edited by YaYagirl; 05-22-2017 at 11:42 AM.

Reply Reply