It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2001, 04:05 PM   #1
Inactive

norfin HB User
Angry Burning, Tingling In Head

I've been having these strange feelings in my head for a while now. On the left, back, top side I feel this piercing, stabbing, and burning sore head pain. Sometimes it lasts all day. When I press on it..it really hurts. I feel like the bones of my skull have been slugged with something. Anybody else experience this?

Old 08-30-2004, 01:10 AM   #2

drivinmekrazy HB User
Re: Burning, Tingling In Head

i was just wondering if u ever found out what the problem was. I am havin similiar problems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2004, 10:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

I had that. It is called neuralgia (meaning "nerve pain"). More specifically, it is likely "greater occipital neuralgia," which just means that you are experiencing pain as a result of injury to your greater occipital nerve. This is a sensory nerve (so it takes in signals of touch and pain and stuff and sends them to the brain). It comes out of the spinal cord in the neck area and then goes up the back of your neck to your head and into the scalp. On its way there, however, it goes straight through the middle of a muscle (semispinalis capitis, which helps hold your head up and tilt it backward). If you are stressed out, and especially if you have bad posture or spend a lot of time looking down and then periodically looking up (like if you are a student looking down to write notes and then looking up at the board), this muscle tightens up and squishes the nerve going through it. The nerve doesn't like this, and ends up sending all kinds of weird signals to the brain, which can range from tingling and burning to aching and pain.

The good news is that you can do something about it. Check out your posture and make sure that you aren't slouching down with your chin forward. Try to relax so that muscle isn't so tight. If you spend a lot of time looking up as I described, try to watch your posture when you do that as well. Depending on how bad it is, you can see a doctor. If your insurance will let you, you could just go straight to a neurologist, otherwise your GP should be able to help. When I went to the doctor I got a prescription for muscle relaxers, a neck brace, and a prescription for physical therapy. I actually never wore the neck brace (yup... I'm a bad patient...). I did do a little bit of physical therapy where we worked on my posture and she did some massage. And I took the muscle relaxers.

It will take time to get better, though. Nerves are funny things and they are slow to heal. I think it took a month or two before I didn't have any pain at all. But it is definitely treatable.

I know that it is a horrible kind of pain, so hang in there. Good luck.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:49 PM   #4
(female)

ALICECOOPERFAN HB User

I think I might have that...I've had it my whole life...I can remember having it trigger in like 1st grade when the zoo people came in and I was holding the snake. I have gone for Physical Therapy, and it helped for a little bit but its back. My exact symptoms are as follows: when I turn my head sometimes (even the slightest turn) and I get this sharp pain in my neck (mainly on the right side) and it shoots up with a tingling, burning pain into the back of my head and burns for a while depending on how bad it is.
Is this what you were talking about???

Closed Thread