It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2001, 11:54 AM   #1

Harold2 HB User
Cool Nasal Spray Addiction

I have been using Vicks Sinex 12 hour nasal spray for about 8-9 years now. I have tried almost everything to try and get off the stuff. I snort the Sinex about 2-3 times an hour. At night I snort approx. 8-10 squirts in each nostril. Is there anything that I can do to get off the stuff? It's an expensive addiction that I need to quit. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Harold2

------------------
Thanks, Harold2

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2001, 12:34 PM   #2

wearesiamese HB User
I've been through this many many times with Duration nose spray. The only thing you can do is resign yourself to the fact that you will have to "mouth breath" for a couple of days. Then after that, you should be able to breath through your nose. I've used Duration for about 12 years off and on. This is how it goes every time. Just pretend you have a cold. In fact, taking a cold medicine may help you breath while you are going off spray.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2001, 01:54 PM   #3

siouxzee HB User
This is a hard habit to kick. If you are serious about this, seeing an ENT (ear nose throat doctor) is advised. Going cold turkey off of your over-the-counter decongestant spray will get you "unhooked" from the medication after about four to five days. This period will be much easier for you if they get help from your healthcare provider in the form of one of the prescription steroid sprays that can be started about three days before stopping the over-the-counter spray. Sometimes, a brief round (about 6 days) of oral steroids can also be useful.

Quitting yourself is possible also. Some tips are:

1)Quit one nostril at a time.
2)Use oral decongestant pills or syrup during the process for the bounceback congestion you'll get.
3)Use a nonmedical nasal spray as a substitute(such as a saline mist)
4)take up some other bad habit like smoking (ok just seeing if you're paying attention )

Normal nasal function should resume within 7-21 days.
Good Luck

Old 09-19-2001, 07:56 PM   #4
Inactive

Angelwings HB User
Talking

Yea me too!! I just need it at night. I panic if I don't have it at night. If I can't find my bottle I can't sleep. I'll go to the store at 2 or 3a.m. if I have to. Someone told me to use those nasel strips. I haven't yet but maybe one day.

Old 09-21-2001, 01:00 AM   #5

Janice Hawley HB User
I was addicted to nose sprays/drops for years and it was terrible. Finally found a Dr. (a D.O.) who put me on a schedule of decongestants and convinced me to go cold turkey off of the drops. It was misery for a least a week...but I made it and will never again put anything in my nose except a good saline spray.

Old 09-21-2001, 01:02 AM   #6

Janice Hawley HB User
One more thing....I do use the nasal strips now for occasional stuffiness and they do help. They are not fun to wear or be seen in, but you get used to them.

Old 11-05-2001, 12:07 AM   #7
Angelbaby

Yes, I've had that same prob with Dristan nose spray that lasted 2 years. Until I got head aches I forced myself to stop. I couldn't live without it. But after a few days of breathing threw my mouth (which wasn't easy), it all went away! Good luck to you!

Old 11-06-2001, 11:28 PM   #8

heyrae32 HB User
Lightbulb

I too was hopelessly addicted to nasal sprays for many years. I just got sick and tired of the habit and quit cold turkey and was miserable for about 4-5 days and then "poof" it magically went away and I could breathe again. However, my daughter got addicted too a few years ago after she had a really bad cold. I bought some nasal spray to help her breathe due to the cold and that pretty much started it. She was hooked. It was costing a lot of money to keep her nasal spray habit up and she was getting sick of it. She had to go away to camp for a week and was embarrassed to have to take her nasal spray with her. We went to the doctor and he prescribed "Beconese" (I'm not sure if I'm spelling it right, but it's something like that). Well she used the nasal spray in one nostril and the Beconese in the other nostril for two days and once that nostril cleared up she used the Beconese in the other nostril for two days and then she was off the nasal spray for good. It only took four days. She hasn't used a drop since. Even now when she has a cold she refuses to use the nasal spray because she does not want to get addicted to it again.

I don't know if this will help you, but thought I would mention it in case you might want to try it. The Beconese is non addictive and it doesn't clear your nostrils completely, just enough so you can breathe through them without using the nasal spray.

If you go to your doctor and get some and use it - post your results.

Thanks,

Rae

Old 03-11-2005, 02:19 PM   #9
(female)

jackee b HB User
Re: Nasal Spray Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by siouxzee
This is a hard habit to kick. If you are serious about this, seeing an ENT (ear nose throat doctor) is advised. Going cold turkey off of your over-the-counter decongestant spray will get you "unhooked" from the medication after about four to five days. This period will be much easier for you if they get help from your healthcare provider in the form of one of the prescription steroid sprays that can be started about three days before stopping the over-the-counter spray. Sometimes, a brief round (about 6 days) of oral steroids can also be useful.

Quitting yourself is possible also. Some tips are:

1)Quit one nostril at a time.
2)Use oral decongestant pills or syrup during the process for the bounceback congestion you'll get.
3)Use a nonmedical nasal spray as a substitute(such as a saline mist)
4)take up some other bad habit like smoking (ok just seeing if you're paying attention )

Normal nasal function should resume within 7-21 days.
Good Luck

I have been tring to get info on "Trying to quite Sinex", My husband has been using this product for almost 10 years now. It has belived to cause his High Blood Pressure, Migraines, Post Nasal Drip, and his severe pain in the face. Just like the story of addiction above, he can not stop using this product. If he does, his face swells up, and he is unable to breathe, he even has a hard time breathing thru his mouth. I have had many nights where I have had to go out at 12:00 or 1:00 in the morning to get him a bottle so he can breathe. I have gone as far as calling Proctor and Gamble the makers of this product, and for a few weeks, they were calling my house. My husband has gone to an ENT infact 2 different ENT's, and both have just given him another steroid to squirt up his nose... Of course they do not have the same effect that the Sinex has, so he goes back to sinex. The last ENT that he saw told him that his nasal passage was so destryed from the sinex, he wasn't sure how to help him. The need for Sinex is rediculous at my house, my husband can not go anywhere without it.. He has the 12 hour fine mist in both cars, the bedroom night stand, his work drawer, and always in his pocket.. and if it is not in his pocket, or in his car, it's off to the drug store... I just hope anyone that has been taking this for under 2-3 years, can get off it NOW, before their life turns into mine... If anyone has any other suggestions, please send them my way!!!!
Say NO to Sinex...
Jackee

Old 03-11-2005, 02:29 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

velvet48 HB User

oh how i know what you are going thru. i was addicted for 8 years myself. and allergist told me to use it instead of allergy shots. what a mistake. i was using the 12 hour stuff every 3 to 4 hours.
man, what that does to the inside of your nose.
i finally went to another allergist to help me get off it. they told me to go to the drug store and buy the nasel spray that is only saline solution. this gives you the feeling of using the nasel spray, but there is nothing in it but saline. keeps the noce moist. it is a hard thing to do to get off that stuff, but you can do it. good luck
karen

Old 03-11-2005, 03:08 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bell99 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold2
I have been using Vicks Sinex 12 hour nasal spray for about 8-9 years now. I have tried almost everything to try and get off the stuff. I snort the Sinex about 2-3 times an hour. At night I snort approx. 8-10 squirts in each nostril. Is there anything that I can do to get off the stuff? It's an expensive addiction that I need to quit. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Harold2

------------------
Thanks, Harold2
Harold I can so relate! I was a 4 way junkie for (are you ready) 12 years!! I would sleep with it under my pillow and panic if I couldn't find it. It went every where I went.
I know all people can not do this but I just quit cold turkey. It wasn't easy nor fun. I swear I couldn't breath through my nose for months and months.
I also quit smoking cold turkey after 13 years. I don't know why I had it in my to do this but I did. My husband also had the nose spray addiction and he quit one nostril at a time. His Dr. also prescribed a spray to whean him off of it. It isn't easy and I wish you all the luck in the world. One thing I did was think of all the money I was giving to the companies that made the stuff. After I quit smoking as well I was amazed at how much extra case I had at the end of the month!

Old 05-08-2006, 06:09 AM   #12
(male)

Dorset@designse HB User

I also have been addicted to sinex for 6 years now - i use 2 bottles per week.

this is how to get off it without any discomfort:

Preparation

1) Go and buy 12 bottles of sinex

2) Go and buy enough saline (salt) solution from a chemist

3) Go to a hobby craft center and purchase 2 syringes that can hold 20 ml with a thin enough hyperdermic needle to fit in the hole at the top of the sinex bottle

Implementation

Step 1:

1) Take a fresh new sinex bottle and insert 1 of the syringes in hole at top - draw out 5 ml of sinex and dump it.

2) Draw into 2nd syringe - 5 ml of saline solution and pump into the sinex bottle. You now have a diluted mixture, 1 quarter of its original strength.

3) Repeat 2 more times so you have 3 bottles of sinex - at 1 quarter thier original strength. Use these as you normally would, as many times and as much as you need to.

Step 2:

1) Take a fresh new sinex bottle and insert 1 of the syringes in hole at top - draw out 10 ml of sinex and dump it.

2) Draw into 2nd syringe - 10 ml of saline solution and pump into the sinex bottle. You now have a diluted mixture, half of its original strength.

3) Repeat 2 more times so you have 3 bottles of sinex - now at 1 half thier original strength. Use these as you normally would, as many times and as much as you need to.

Step 3

1) Take a fresh new sinex bottle and insert 1 of the syringes in hole at top - draw out 15 ml of sinex and dump it.

2) Draw into 2nd syringe - 15 ml of saline solution and pump into the sinex bottle. You now have a diluted mixture, 3 quarters of its original strength.

3) Repeat 2 more times so you have 3 bottles of sinex - now at 3 quarters of thier original strength. Use these as you normally would, as many times and as much as you need to.

Step 4

1) Take a fresh new sinex bottle and insert 1 of the syringes in hole at top - draw out 19 ml of sinex and dump it.

2) Draw into 2nd syringe - 19 ml of saline solution and pump into the sinex bottle. You now have a virtually sinex free mixture.

3) Repeat 2 more times so you have 3 bottles of "sinex" - 1 ml sinex and 19 ml saline. Use these as you normally would, as many times and as much as you need to.

This gradual process weans you off sinex (or another nasal sprays) without the absolute discomfort of not being able to breathe what-so-ever out of your nose (which - lets face - lasts a lot longer than 2 or 3 days)

Step 5

Dont buy a nasal spray ever again! Just rough out the cold and thank your lucky stars you are cured!

Its an awful addiction, and one that is increasingly common - but silently.

The "safe" period to use it is -

Europe - 3 to 7 days

USA - 1 to 3 days

After this - i think the safest period of all is not to use it!

I truly hope this helps - make sure you do the set up of all the bottles in one go - which takes a couples of hours - and about £25.

Many thanks,

Patrick Shelley

Last edited by Dorset@designse; 05-08-2006 at 06:11 AM.

Closed Thread