It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2001, 08:02 AM   #1
(male)

YoungLife HB User
Question Severe dry skin on my ears

I have been getting dry cracky skin on both my ears every morning, I put some lotion on it, but later on during the day it becomes dry again, it also feels like theres wax buildup in my ear, i flush it out with a tube like syringe but it still gets clogged and itchy, now i have a hiss sound in my ear. Is there any over counter product or lotion I can use? I cant go Doctor because I dont have health insurence

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2001, 09:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Jaytor HB User
You may have more than one condition.

First: what exactly is the appearance of your dry skin? Any encrustation? If yes, it may be eczema which is usually treated with a topical corticosteroid cream. The problem with steroids of any type is that long term steroid use can lead to thinning of the skin, making it more susceptible to infection.

Second: waxy build-up in the ear canal. This may or may not be related to the eczema. Something you can try is using a blow dryer, on gentle heat and at a comfortable distance from your ear. This may help soften the wax. Then using a dropper, put a few drops of slightly warmed (body temperature] salty water to irrigate and wash out the ear canal. To avoid an accidental bumping, do not put the dropper into the ear canal.

I'm not sure what best dissolves ear wax, but saline water is usually safe and non-reactive.

A final note. This is an old folk remedy for dry skin -olive oil. Olive oil can be applied as a very thin layer, contains EFAs which are nourishing to the skin, and is inexpensive. Just make sure you use fresh extra virgin olive oil. This is because olive oil, especially the unprocessed extra virgin variety, has a relatively short shelf life. Processing changes the olive oils properties and reduces the amount of the ingredient you want. [Not sure which ingredient - sorry.] Have also heard that flax seed oil has similar characteristics.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2001, 09:09 PM   #3
(male)

YoungLife HB User
Talking

Wow, thanks for all the advice. I'm gonna try those. This usually occurs during the winter time , but some reason this winter feels worse.

Closed Thread