It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2002, 07:26 PM   #1

Samine HB User
Post Dizzy when turning head

Whenever I turn my head to the right and up slightly (not to the left), I get VERY dizzy. This is the 4th time this has happened in the past 3 years, spaced out with many months passing in between spells.

When it happened the first time, I went to my family doc, and he sent me to an ear/nose and throat doc who told me I had probably had a piece of calcium that had broken off inside my head that had landed on my inner ear, thus causing the dizziness. I did get a hearing test also.

Has anyone heard of this before and should I be alarmed? Should I ask for more tests and what type of testing do I demand? I say demand because that is what I have learned you must do with docs. Thanks for the help.

Sam

Old 03-05-2002, 10:12 AM   #2
(female)

mikesgirl HB User
I believe that I have had the same problem as you. I was never properly diagnosed by my doc but from what I have researched it sounds like the exact same thing. It is called benign positional vertigo. I started with the dizziness about 3 years ago ( i couldnt even get up) and have had recurrences since, but they have become much less frequent. I have just learned to live with it. I hope this helps!

------------------
No one can make you feel inferior without your permission.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2002, 10:46 AM   #3
Inactive

Wowwweee HB UserWowwweee HB UserWowwweee HB User
Hi Samine,

You may want to check out the Inner Ear Board; it does sound like you have BPV (Benign Positional Vertigo). I also was diagnosed with this a few years ago - it was horrid, but once I understood what it was, I was able to deal with it until it cleared up. You can look up this condition, as well as other conditions that can cause dizziness, by doing a search on the internet.

I still have daily wooziness, which has been undiagnosed. I have been thoroughly checked out and am in great health, but this wooziness/spaciness that I have can be pretty awful. You may find some extra support on the Inner Ear Board; I have found that when my symptoms are really rough, it helps to talk about it or just read about others' experiences so you don't feel so alone.

I would say that if YOU are not satisfied with the answer you received from the Ear-Nose-Throat doctor, then you should either go back to talk to him or go back to your primary care doctor. Many times forms of vertigo (dizziness, imbalance, etc) are harmless, so if your doctor feels that there is nothing to really worry about, then you should trust in that. For total piece of mind, you could ask your doctor to send you for an head scan (MRI) so that you can rest easy knowing that your dizziness is not harmful.

I have been to many different doctors and have had many tests to see if a reason can be caused for my symptoms. Happily, I am healthy, although still woozy!

Take care.

[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 03-05-2002).]

Old 03-08-2002, 06:20 PM   #4

cozy HB User
Wink

Just a thought, have you injured your neck in any way? Whiplash? I have bulging disk c-1 and I feel dizzy & imbalanced mostly am. Some days it last longer with pain in back of my head. Just a thought
http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/idea.gif Cozy

Old 03-17-2002, 01:18 PM   #5

PEANUTS HB User
Sam, you don,t say how old you are, but it can also be caused by plaque in the arteries of the neck.Have you had your cholesterol checked?They can do a test called a Doppler to see if you have any blockage.

------------------

Old 03-17-2002, 08:06 PM   #6

Samine HB User
Newbie:
Thanks for your reply. My cholesterol is 305. I am going in to my doc on Tuesday of this week. She wants to put me on chol-reducing meds. I am 44, female - had a total hysterctomy when I was 30. I say this because I have taken hormones on and off since the surgery. They say that I am more at risk for heart disease. I am struggling about going on the Lipitor or not. My dizziness is gone now.

I got my records from my family doctor on the first episode. It happened in 1996 out of the blue one morning. I woke up with it and has happened to me periodically ever since. It just hits me and lasts for a few weeks then gradually goes away. My doctor thinks it is a sinus infection. I don't know if it is or not, I just know that it is very strange. It could be allergy and sinus-related. I do have a history with that type of thing.

Anyway - Does anyone have any Lipitor or Tricor issues? Please advise someone,me, with a family high cholesterol problem?

Thanks so much!

Sam

Old 03-17-2002, 08:51 PM   #7

Larry Wu HB User
Samine,
My cholesterol averaged 300 until my doctor prescribed 20mg of Lipitor for 3 months and my level dropped to 186. I had experienced no side effects and wished I could continue with Lipitor but my insurance would no longer cover it, so my doctor prescribed 20mg of Pravachol and in 3 months went up to 276. Now my doctor increased the dosage to 40mg of Pravachol and next week I'll be going in for another cholesterol check to see what my readings are. I will get back with you on this.

Old 03-17-2002, 09:32 PM   #8

Samine HB User
Why wouldn't your insurance company cover the Lipitor? What insurance company do you have?

Old 03-18-2002, 08:43 PM   #9

Larry Wu HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Samine:
Why wouldn't your insurance company cover the Lipitor? What insurance company do you have?
I have Universal Care and they said the cost of Lipitor has risen to the point where they will no longer cover the expense. My loss, their gain.

Old 03-18-2002, 08:52 PM   #10

Larry Wu HB User
Samine,
I just received my cholesterol reading from my doctor today and he told me my readings were 326 with LDL of 223. I had been taking 40mg of pravachol for 3-1/2 months. Now my doctor has increased the dosage to 80mg.
If after 3 months my cholesterol doesn't come down, I'm going to recommend he put me on another type of medication to lower my high cholesterol. Like you I have a family history of high cholesterol.

Old 03-18-2002, 10:15 PM   #11

Samine HB User
Thanks everyone for the replies. I am seeing my doc tomorrow regarding the cholesterol-reducing meds. I am torn between going on it or not going on anything and taking my chances. I will see what she I find out tomorrow.

Sam

Closed Thread