It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2002, 09:23 AM   #1

sunshine_austin2 HB User
Post Help! Earrings are stuck inside ears!

I would love some good advice from someone! Somehow the back of my earrings have gotten stuck in my ears. I think an infection is starting to build up, and I realize that I need to get them out. The problem is, I am unable to. I can't get a good hold on the back of them, they are barely visible, and they are so stuck in there, it's hard and very painful, to try to pull them out either way.

What will a doctor do, to get them out? I am nervous about going to a doctor, because it is so painful, and so I'd rather do it myself, and slowly instead.

Anything I can do myself?

I would appreciate a speedy answer from someone, if possible!

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2002, 09:41 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

friendlione HB User
Unhappy

sunshine_austin2:

wow that is a pain!

A way to get them loose is to apply a warm wet wash cloth to each ear, and let the moisture loosen the earring.

A faster way would be to wash your hair, and by the time you are done, the water likely would have loosened them so you can take the earrings out.

When they are out, swab hydrogen peroxide on each one, front and back, about twice a day for two days, then swab with alcohol every so often. If you don't want the holes to close, you have to leave in some gold or stainless steel studs. They won't cause infections.
Be sure to clean your ear holes regularly with alcohol.

I would love some good advice from someone! Somehow the back of my earrings have gotten stuck in my ears. I think an infection is starting to build up, and I realize that I need to get them out. The problem is, I am unable to. I can't get a good hold on the back of them, they are barely visible, and they are so stuck in there, it's hard and very painful, to try to pull them out either way.

What will a doctor do, to get them out? I am nervous about going to a doctor, because it is so painful, and so I'd rather do it myself, and slowly instead.

Anything I can do myself?

I would appreciate a speedy answer from someone, if possible!

Thank you!
[/QUOTE]

[This message has been edited by friend (edited 03-01-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2002, 09:55 AM   #3

sunshine_austin2 HB User
Thank you for your help! Unfortantely, they are just too stuck. Also, the entire back is inside the ears, and so the problem is bigger than the earrings being too tight. I do appreciate it, though!

Old 03-02-2002, 12:13 AM   #4

Eileen Dover HB User
Yikes! That sounds really painful. I got my ears pierced about 7 years ago and have had lots of problems with infections and holes closing up, etc., although nothing quite this bad. If I am understanding correctly, you're saying that the earring backings are inside your ears?

Did you actually try what the other person suggested with the warm, wet washcloth? If not, try it, because if your earlobes are swelling up, that could help. Also, clean your ears very carefully and thoroughly with ear-cleaning solution (they made me buy this when I got mine pierced but you can probably get it wherever you got yours pierced if you don't already have some), because when they get infected, there could be a build-up of dried pus and/or blood, which can make the earrings and backings stick to your ears.

I actually think it might be a bad idea to use hydrogen peroxide. I remember when I got my ears pierced they specifically told me NOT to use that. I think it's because it's makes wounds close faster, and your earring holes are wounds. If you have the earring back stuck inside your ear, that might make it worse.

I know you said you don't want to go to a doctor, but if what the other person said didn't work, it must be pretty bad, and you should go. You might also try going to the place where you got your ears pierced (if you didn't get them pierced at the doctor's) and see if they have any advice for you. Anyway, it's probably best to get this taken care of as soon as possible, because the longer you wait, the more stuck and harder to remove it could get. It may be easier for someone else to do it than for you to try to do it yourself because another person would have a much better view.

Old 03-02-2002, 10:39 PM   #5
Inactive

kemying HB User
Red face

just swing by the emergency room, they will have all the right equipment to deal with this. they may have to cut the out. either way you need them out. and they will give you pain medicine to make it all better. how long have these earings been in your ears?

------------------
"just love everyone"

Old 03-18-2002, 10:57 PM   #6

JoyHoshino HB User
When I was 7 I had the same problem. An infection had allready formed just a day after they were stuck, so I suggest going to the doctor. It takes very little time to take the earring out. Aside from being a scary event for a child, it's a simple procedure.

Old 03-19-2002, 02:18 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

friendlione HB User
Smile

sunshine_austin2:

Did you get the earrings out?

Old 03-19-2002, 05:12 PM   #8
(male)

Mace HB User
Sunshine_Austin,
Hope the backs are out by now. I would also like to know for sure.

These small backs are very common in the jewelry business due to the competition of mass merchandising. Everyone is trying to gain an edge on being cheaper and unfortunately the consumer is duped into buying a cheaper product-penny wise pound foolish.

When you buy earring be sure they have the larger back, simply stated they come in small, medium and large. The small can cause the problem you experienced. If the large is still a problem there is a plastic disc you can put on between the earring nut and the ear, their main use is for heavy earrings but should work in your case.

Good Luck, God Bless, Mace

Old 03-20-2002, 02:00 AM   #9
Zafu

Hi all,

I remember seeing a post from Sunshine_austin on another forum that she DID get her earrings off.

Ahh I remember where I saw it now....
[url="http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum15/HTML/000285.html"]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum15/HTML/000285.html[/url]

Best wishes to you all..

Zafu http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/clown.gif

[This message has been edited by Zafu (edited 03-20-2002).]

Old 03-20-2002, 11:27 AM   #10
(male)

Mace HB User
Thanks! Zafu

God Bless, Mace

Closed Thread