HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Open to All Other Health Topics (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/open-all-other-health-topics/)
-   -   Strep or not? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/open-all-other-health-topics/118188-strep-not.html)

Broadwaygirl03 09-14-2002 04:41 PM

Strep or not?

Yesterday in my 8th period class I suddenly noticed my throat hurt. Then 10 minutes later it was like "man...this really hurts". I started taking trimox right away. My throat is red (duh) with red streaks that I can see in it. The medicine is just starting to kick in, my throat is feeling a tad better but I feel aweful. My voice is going and I feel like I could throw up at any minute, I haven't been coughing much at all though. Is this the run of the mill cold or strep? My mom was sort of alerted when I told her about the streaks in my throat.

My brother recently had a sore throat and a terrible cough, at first I thought I cought it from him but it's not the same symptoms, he had a real deep, mucus like cough.

Is strep contagious btw? I mean I HAVE to go to school monday, my college is visiting my HS and the fall play cast is being announced (say a prayer I get in!)

Broadwaygirl03 09-14-2002 04:48 PM

btw my temp is 99.5

mlgable 09-14-2002 09:53 PM

Yes strep is contagious until you have been on antibiotics for at least 24-48 hours. You should not be taking antiobitics without a proper diagnosis though as this may mask your real symptoms making it harder for the doc to diagnos what is wrong with your or it can cause a yeast infection some where if you don't eat plenty of yogart with it. If you still think it may be strep when you read this have your mom take you to urgent care to get this checked out and in the mean time don't share your glass or eating utinsils with anyone if it might be strep.

Broadwaygirl03 09-15-2002 08:13 AM

It'll be 48 hrs tonight. My parents are doctors so when I'm sick they can tell what it is and what to put me on, lol just to clarify that. Whatever it is it is definatly contagious, my brother had it, now I have it, now my sister has it.

gracieathome 09-15-2002 10:23 AM

As your parents are doctors I hope they did a throat culture to confirm strep before giving you antibiotics. Viruses are also contagious, and anti-biotics are no help. In fact they are very bad when not absolutely needed.

Broadwaygirl03 09-16-2002 04:40 PM

It definatly is viral from what you say. I just take amoxil whenever I get a sore throat and it clears me up within two days and I'm usualy good to go. Since I posted this topic I've lost my voice and its just gottan worse. I'm going to my pediatrition tomorrow because I barley made it through today. I've never had something this bad before, I just told my mom I wanted to go to the doctor to make sure it wasn't anything serious we were over looking, my brother and sister had it, took meds and they are fine. At first though I just feel kind of funny running to the doctor, I have some serious medical issues and a sore throat seems kind of petty compared to what I have. So, whatever, I just want my doctor to fix me up Asap cuz I have a big family party to go to saturday.

gracieathome 09-17-2002 09:56 PM

You said your parents were doctors. Please dont take any anti-biotics anytime you get a virus. It will lower your ability to fight infection, and make the antibiotics stop working then when you are really sick and need them you will be screwed.