The back of my tongue always has a whitish coating on it. I can brush my tongue with my toothbrush and get rid of most of it but it usually comes back. Also my mouth dries out a lot. The doctor says its probably my allergies and my mouth breathing, not being able to breathe well thru my nose because of allergies is what that is. I am not so sure though.
Also one last question. Ever since I was little I have small pink bumps on the far back of my tongue starting at about my tonsil area on my tongue and goes back. Someone told me there is such a thing called enlarged taste buds and it is pefectly normal for some people to have these. Am I the only one that does or does anyone else have these too. They worry me because I dont know of anyone else that is like that. Is my tongue deformed?
Please if anyone can answer or relate to these problems of mine please reply.
If you are doing a lot of mouth breathing from allergies maybe it's time to see about getting your allergies under better control. Are you taking allergy shots for your allergies or just using medications? Allergy shots might be a big help if you are not taking them. Also check to be sure you allergy medication contains a decongestant so that you can breathe easier. If it doesn't contain a decongestant then ask you doc to change your med or prescribe one of the new nasal sprays to go along with it. You might also want to consider adding a good antioxidant supplement to your daily routine as this can help with your allergies and breathing. If you had yeast your doctor would have noticed it when he examined you and you would probably have a sore mouth aka tongue by now if it was yeast and not treated.
Those bumps at the back of your tongue are just taste buds, and it is perfectly normal. As for the whitish coating, to some extend that is normal too. If it is very thick it could be a build up of yeast. Use a spoon to gently scrape it off. Do this a couple times a day. A toothbrush doesn't work as well because it always leaves a little behind to propagate again. Drink plenty of water to keep your mouth from drying out.
I get a yeast coating on my tongue all the time without having any soreness or discomfort in my mouth. (I do get treated for it though when I have it) The only reason I know when I get it is because I see my allergist quite regularly, and he knows what he is looking for. A lot of drs don't. (although one would hope that the dr would be able to recognize it!) You can definitely get a yeast coating on your tongue without having any other symptoms. If you do get soreness in the mouth or any other symptoms associated with that, then it is probably a different kind of yeast than what I am talking about. That would be called Oral Thrush, for which you do need to see your dr.
There is also such a thing as a "tongue scraper" (I believe that is what it is called. either that or the "tongue cleanser" or something like that). It is made of plastic and is basically the same shape as a spoon. It has a handle and the round part is not filled in (so in other words, it is like the rim of the spoon but without the center) and some of them also have a bar in the middle of them. The edges are smooth so as not to injure your mouth, but it does a very good job of removing the coating. You can probably pick one up in the toothpaste aisle of any drug store. I got mine in the Vitamin Shoppe of all places. Also, you can probably ask your dentist for one. It will gently remove all of the coating from your tongue. A spoon is just as good though. I suggest using either the spoon or the tongue scraper to first remove the coating, and then brushing both your teeth and your tongue with toothpaste to get rid of any bad breath that might have been caused by the coating on your tongue. Plus, it leaves your mouth tasting minty fresh.
P.S. I can do a little diagram thingy of the tongue scraper if anyone really wants to get one but doesn't know what they look like.
[This message has been edited by purple2067 (edited 10-03-2002).]