It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2002, 08:15 PM   #1

sweetypi HB User
Post Does anyone else have this problem? Please help me!!

Hi!
I have a strange fear/phobia and I was wondering if I could get some help somewhere. I have a terrible fear of throwing up. This has been a problem since I can ever remember. I am 26 years old and have 2 kids (they are pretty young) and I can't seem to get over it. I can't take care of my kids when they are sick and I can't handle it if I'm sick myself. I don't ever remember throwing up from having the flu. I only remember throwing up 2 times IN MY LIFE and that was when I had been drinking and I was pretty much out of it so I really don't remember it. If someone in my family is sick and I know about it, I can't sleep for days in fear that it might happen to me or my kids or even my husband. It keeps me from getting a job because then my kids would have to go to daycare and I fear that they will get sick from being around other kids (especially during the winter!) I use to love Christmas and now it seems that someone is always sick during the winter so I'm not very "cheerful" around Christmas time or even Thanksgiving. Can someone please help me and tell me what to do to overcome this............PLEASE!!!!!

Old 10-02-2002, 09:26 PM   #2
Inactive

Frangipani HB User
meditate and stay in the moment. That may sound corny, but if you do it, you'll probably see results. Once your mind starts trailing off, thinking about a possible illness, bring it back to what you're doing at that very moment. Allow yourself to only be concerned with things that are happening currently. Deal with a problem when it arises, not when it's non-existent.

Of course if you feel that this is an actual illness, such as OCD, then by all means see a doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2002, 05:00 AM   #3

sweetypi HB User
I'd love to be able to do that and wish it was that easy....but for me it's not! I know some people say "I don't like to throw up either but you don't see me gettin' all upset and bothered by it".....that's NOT what I like to hear in these types of situations. Have you or anyone you know had this problem? I'd like to be able to take control and think about something else but it's just not possible. This has been my worst fear since I can remember. I'd rather die!!! I just need help overcoming it! Thanks for the input!!!!

Old 10-03-2002, 05:57 AM   #4
Inactive

mlgable HB User
You need to get some professional help since your fear is strong enough to ruin even holidays for you with fear that someone might get sick and throw up. Find a competent therapist and start working on your problems. You will be glad you did. Holidays like Christmas should be fun for everyone especially with kids in your household so get some help with your problems so you can get back to enjoying life. Good Luck.

Old 10-04-2002, 04:59 AM   #5

AprilW HB User
Hi sweety, My very best friend suffers from this same phobia. She gets so worried about it she can't function properly.I wish I had answers for you but I don't. I can tell you you're not alone,its just another phobia that many people suffer from. See you're Dr and perhaps he could recommend a treatment. Hang in there,and know that again you're not alone!! Take care luv, April

Old 10-04-2002, 10:13 AM   #6

mfry32 HB User
My daughter has the same phobia. Has had it for years.
She's 29 and still has it. So you are certainly not
the only one with this. I don't have an answer for you
since everything I suggested she try has not worked.
Keep looking for an answer and you'll find one.

Old 10-04-2002, 05:02 PM   #7
Veteran

buck58 HB User
Lightbulb

I agre with Frang, If I had to take a stab at this, It sure sounds like an OCD problem more than anything else I could think if. Of course just my humble opinin.
buck. And good Luck.

Old 10-04-2002, 09:32 PM   #8

sweetypi HB User
Thank you to everyone who responded. I will definitely be seeing a doctor about this phobia. It has totally taken control of my life since and I'm almost 27 and it has got to stop! I will be contacting my doctor to see if we can figure something out before it continues to control the rest of my life for me! Thanks again to all!

Sweety

Closed Thread