It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2002, 07:31 PM   #1

oldkate HB User
Question Flu & Pneumonia Vaccine

Today I called the Doctors to make and appointment to get my Flu shot. I told the secretary that I also wanted the Pneumonia shot also. I never had that one before, but thought ay my age, I should have it. She said that it was all one shot. I have never heard that before. I understood that the Pneumonia shot was one that lasted 5 years. The Flu shot was a yearly thing. She is not a nurse, just the secretary. Is she correct?
I will question this when I get there, but I would like to know if anyone heard of a two in one shot, fot the Flu and Pneumonia.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2002, 08:52 PM   #2
Inactive

SnowyLynne HB User
I am of the few who does not take the flu shot.They make me sicker than a dog.I have had the Pnumonia shot 3 times in the last 12 years.........Haven't had it yet since taking it........

[This message has been edited by SnowyLynne (edited 10-14-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2002, 08:57 PM   #3
Blue4U2

I was under the impression that these are two different shots, but, perhaps progress has been made into developing a 2 in one.

I inevitably gat the flu -like symtoms two weeks after the flu shot, so I stopped getting it.
Plus, it seems that there is always some germ to get you if influenza doesn't.

Good luck!
Blue

Old 10-14-2002, 09:47 PM   #4

UCDStudent HB User
The Flu virus is one of the leading causes of death in the elderly. If you are over the age of 65 it is important that you get the Flu Shot if you can.

Old 10-15-2002, 07:05 AM   #5
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Yes those are 2 separate shots. Your clinic secretary is wrong. The flu shot is made each year and is different each year depending on what strain of flu has been detected. Flu vaccine comes out in early october and is shipped to pharmacies and then to clinics or nursing homes. Pneumonia vaccines are available all year long and you can get one any time you request it since Pneumonia is not just a winter disease. Pneumonia is something you can get at any time of the year although it is more prevalent in the winter as colds are spread easier since we stay indoors and have closer contact to people etc. If I should be wrong at how they do it at your clinic please post it once you have had your shots as I would be interested since I work in a nursing home and enjoy learning how they do things elsewhere.

Old 10-15-2002, 12:23 PM   #6

kalleycat HB User
I need some help here, I received one of those FWD's in my mail about not taking the flu shot this year? Did anyone else receive this. I wanted to take the shot but I am a little worried now.

Can 3 year old's take this shot?

Old 10-15-2002, 10:15 PM   #7

oldkate HB User
Well, I went for my Flu and Pneumonia shots today. Flu shot in the left arm, Pneumonia shot in right arm. Left arm is OK. But, the right arm hurts like the blazes. It is swollen and hard as a rock.

mlgable...You wanted to know how it was done here. I had no problem, no papers tpo fill out or anything like that. They just checked to see if I had Medicare. No charge with that.

My daughter also works in a Retirement facility in the Infirmary. She says that the eldery get their shots as soon as they are available and some handle it very well. Others do not.

My husband (deceased) could not take the Flu shot. Every time he took it, he got sick with Flu like symptoms and had to stop taking it.

Old 10-16-2002, 06:15 AM   #8
Veteran

Greenberry HB User
I never took the flu shot either until about 4 years ago when I got a virus (which I think was the flu). I had a fever of 103 for 2 days, and had pnuemonia within 3 days. It was totally awful, so I decided to avoid that again if at all possible. I have never had any trouble, except my arm will feel hot and sometimes my lymph nodes will swell up under the arm where I have had the shot for a day or two. And more importantly, I have not had any virus/flu in three years!

Old 10-17-2002, 05:19 PM   #9

oldkate HB User
Angry

I'm back again. And is my arm ever sore. The left arm where I had my Flu shot is fine. But my right arm from my elbow up to my shoulder is very sore and hard. The skin is red and hot.
I called the Doctors and I was told I was having a bad reaction to the Pneumonia shot. I had the shots done on Tuesday. Called them on Wednesday. Now here it is Thursday, and it still hurts like he**.
Has anyone ever had a negative reaction like this when receiving any kind of needle?

Old 10-17-2002, 05:22 PM   #10

oldkate HB User
I forgot to say that when I called the Doctors, they said put ice on it and take Tylenol. Did that. Still hurts like the dickens. Maybe I am just being a big baby and it will go away in a few days. I hope so.

Old 10-18-2002, 05:31 AM   #11

yogurtmn HB User
Yes, the Pneumonia shot can cause a reaction, but usually it is mild, but if it persists for a day or two more, contact your doctor.

Closed Thread