It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2002, 10:58 AM   #1
Veteran

lilrayofhope HB User
Exclamation Visible Pulse in Stomach?

After I take a warm bath or something I get really dizzy and have to lay down. I also noticed that when this happens my pulse is in my stomach. I can actually see my stomach go up and down with each beat. It's really starting to scare me.

History: I have Ulcerative Colitis. I also suffer from Anorexia and Depression. I am currently at a rather low weight (86.5 pounds, I'm 5'3''). I was put in the hospital in August for anorexia and during my stay my heart rate was very low along with my blood pressure. (My blood pressure was usually around 80/38, and my pulse was often in the upper 40s) I recently went to the doctor and I was dehydrated. They couldn't feel my pulse in my wrist and so they had to listen to my heart to find it. I should have mentioned the visible pulse in my stomach, but totally forgot. Any idea what is causing it?

Old 10-22-2002, 03:45 AM   #2
Super Sarah

Talking

First of all, it is not unusual after a warm bath to feel dizzy and faint. If you have a hot bath, this opens up all your blood vessels (vasodilation) and when this happens, your blood pressure falls. As your blood pressure is low anyway, then this is the reason - it goes even lower and you feel dizzy and weak.

As for the pulse in your belly, this a not that abnormal either. You should be able to feel a pulse in your belly anyway, around your belly button. When you lie down, put your hand on your belly and see if you can feel it on top of your belly button. There is a major blood vessel called the abdominal aorta that runs right through your belly and although not always visible is still there. It runs from the heart, the aorta and then goes through the belly, becoming the abdominal aorta. It is possible that as you are so thin and have a very low fat covering that it is more visible. Also the thinner you are the more it is possible to feel it.

I really don't think that you need to be worried about this unless you are having belly pains at all, but mention it to your doc next time you see him and ask him to examine your belly to put your mind at rest.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2002, 01:25 PM   #3
Inactive

lovelyme HB User
You are fine. You can probably see your pulse because you are sooo thin and faint because that happens when you are immersed in a hot bath and get up into the cool air. That's very common.

[This message has been edited by lovelyme (edited 10-22-2002).]

Old 10-22-2002, 03:49 PM   #4
Veteran

lilrayofhope HB User
Thanks for the replies. I'm glad that I have nothing to worry about. I will ask my doctor about it the next time I see him, just so all my worries can be at easy.

Old 10-22-2002, 04:50 PM   #5
Blue4U2

I agree, those who are thin can see their pulse in their stomach.... I can see mine, and I have a medium build.

The reaction you had to the hot bath actually is healthy, according to the standards of hydrotherapy.
(Hydrotherapy is the use of temperature and water to
ease certain discomforts)

Blue

Old 10-22-2002, 09:29 PM   #6
Inactive

Bettawrekonize1 HB User
Even though you seem healthy, I think itís important that you eat a large variety of fruits, vegetables, herbs, etc... (thatís important for everyone). Make sure you get proper nutrition. You should also take multivitamins (preferably Centrum). Try to stay away from junk food (candy, chocolate, etc...).

------------------
Life is in the Blood

Old 10-23-2002, 09:57 AM   #7
Veteran

lilrayofhope HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Bettawrekonize1:
Even though you seem healthy, I think itís important that you eat a large variety of fruits, vegetables, herbs, etc... (thatís important for everyone). Make sure you get proper nutrition. You should also take multivitamins (preferably Centrum). Try to stay away from junk food (candy, chocolate, etc...).

I'm not healthy. Not in the least. I'm still underweight and continue to lose, but I'm trying to overcome that. I have a lot of health problems outside of my eating disorder as well, and so it's hard. During my stay in the hospital I had a dietician who helped me with a plan for me. I know what foods to eat and stuff, but the whole actually eating them is the problem. I take a Centrum vitamin every day along with two Viactiv Calcium Chews. But even on the rare days that I do eat normal, I still feel the same, dizzy, weak, fatigued, etc.

Anyways...thanks for the tips. Maybe I'll try to live by them now.

Old 10-23-2002, 11:12 AM   #8
Super Sarah

Talking

It really sounds like you need to see a psychiatrist about your anorexia and get your problems sorted out. Do you see a psychiatrist in the hospital?

I would think that a lot of your health and stomach problems are a direct result of your anorexia? Once you get that sorted out you should start to feel better. I am afraid to say that anorexia does stem from psychological problems, so if you are not seeing a psychiatrist, you should be. There is life after anorexia however, but remember that you will always have that tendency. It is like alcoholism in a way, you will always be a recovering anorexic as an alcoholic is always a recovering alcoholic.

Anway, it sounds like you could be on the slow road to recovery, but it is slow and if you persevere you will get there.

Good luck.

Old 10-23-2002, 01:07 PM   #9
Veteran

lilrayofhope HB User
I'm seeing a psychiatrist right now. I'm going to her again tomorrow. (I haven't been in about 3 weeks, She specializes in eating disorders so I'm pretty confident with that. As far as my stomach problems being related to anorexia...they're not. I actually was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis before I ever was anorexic. If fact, my Ulcerative Colitis is what made me anorexic. I always felt sick after eating so I figured don't eat = don't get sick. I ended up losing weight, liking it, and kept with it even if I felt fine. So no, my stomach problems aren't more severe because I'm anorexic, in fact they were lessoned when I didn't eat. But now I know, not eating isn't a fix. I am trying hard to 'recover'. Anyways, thanks, for the concern, I appreciate it. It's nice to know people will take the time read my post and reply to it.

[This message has been edited by lilrayofhope (edited 10-23-2002).]

[This message has been edited by lilrayofhope (edited 10-23-2002).]

Old 10-23-2002, 01:19 PM   #10
Inactive

lovelyme HB User
You know why I think you are just fine? It's because you have a good attitude and it seems like you really want to overcome this disorder. My disorder is anxiety. I still deal with it without any help, like drugs or herbs or therapy and it can be tough, but I am trying to use mind over matter. So if you have the support systems that you have then you will be very well.

------------------
Marie

Closed Thread