It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2002, 09:46 PM   #1

clementine HB User
Post HELP!!!! Fleas in the Workplace

Does anybody know anything about rules or regulations governing the control of fleas in the work place in Jackson County, Missouri? We have the fleas from He... where I work and the management refuses to do anthing about it. I have a good job, work hard, do not wish at this point in my life to seek other employment, besides the job market is not so hot right now. These little critters are driving several of us nuts, not to mention they ride home with us in our clothes. Life is becoming very difficult, pesticide use in my home is not an option, since I have already bombed and sprayed until I will probably glow 100 years after I am buried. Any replies are welcome. HELP!!! Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2002, 11:26 PM   #2
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Fleas are not something you can get rid of that easy as they are probably outside in the grass if there is any where you work and people bring them in on their shoes. Your best defense is for the maintainence to be sure any capeted areas are vacummed at least daily if not more often. If there are any pets in the building they need to be dusted with good old fashioned flea powder. As for the workplace not doing anything..............about the only thing they can do is be sure any carpeted areas etc are vacummed daily. There is not much else you can do for fleas according to our vet. Once cold weather sets in you should not have problems unless of course you live in a warm winter climate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2002, 01:28 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

friendlione HB User
Lightbulb

Call the state or county environmental health office or occupational safety and health. Look in the front of your phone book for state and county offices and start calling phone numbers, asking questions.

Old 09-11-2002, 06:11 AM   #4
Veteran

Greenberry HB User
This year has been a particularly bad year for fleas. We had an invasion in our house, even though we never let our pets inside, and we try to treat our dogs and cat regularly. We also got new carpet in May, and since that time fleas have nearly carried us out of here. We had our bug guy come and soak the entire yard with poison, bomb and spray our house, and at the same time, we treated all of our animals. There are still tons of them in the yard, but the house seems relatively free. I think the ones in the yard are dying, but it may take them a few days longer to croak. I'm glad to hear that I am not the only one with this problem!

If your problem is in the workplace, you have to keep pressure on your boss(es) to get the place sprayed. Don't the supervisors work in the same building? I would get a bunch of people together and head down to the managers office and suggest that they do something. Take some proof--catch some fleas on some scotch tape (wrap them up really good, but where you can still see that they are fleas) and show them. That's about your only hope. I don't think that health departments handle flea complaints (maybe I'm wrong...). Good luck.

Old 09-11-2002, 05:32 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

friendlione HB User
Smile

I would think that OSHA cares (occupational safety and health) and could help you prompt your employer to action.

Old 09-11-2002, 09:09 PM   #6

clementine HB User
Thanks all you guys. No OSHA has no regulations about fleas in the work place if you don't serve food. health dept could care less if you don't serve food to the public either. Manager does not care because even though they ride in his own clothing, they don't bite him. We have given him samples until we are ready to drive a stake in the yard and put him on it with a bondfire around him. Vacuum? Ha!!! We moved into a new facility and begged them not to put carpet in to put tile or inlay of some sort. We handle millions of pieces of paper a day, we are a huge property title insurance company, nationwide firm. Do you think they listened? No way, we don't know anything, they put cheap cheap carpet in. A vacuum cleaner? Are you kidding? We don't have a vacuum cleaner, even though we made Forbes what a joke...some guy comes in to clean with a broom!!!!!!! Spray, are you kidding? They don't believe in pesticides.....So much for all these corporate big guys guess what? I am so glad they can drive their Mercedez Benz. I really wonder how they live in their homes...maybe one of their kids will get sick eventually. Like we have.

Oh we don't have pets in the work place, we have underpaid employees some of whom probably don't bathe once a week. Heavens knows probably sleep with their flea infested pets, and don't wash their clothes once a week. But they work cheap!

Thanks for allowing me to vent. I am so mad. Cheers...

[This message has been edited by clementine (edited 09-11-2002).]

Old 09-11-2002, 09:24 PM   #7

clementine HB User
P.S. Thank you very much, I contacted the EPA. Maybe something will be forthcoming from them.

I hope this 9-11 finds all of you well. I am sitting here scratching until I am about ready to jump out the window. I do not have a pet. Sleep tight you guys.

Old 09-21-2002, 01:14 AM   #8
(female)

Valhalla HB User
I read up online that fleas don't like wormwood or lavendar plants very much. I did a search using "natural" "flea" "repellant". I could be wrong. But if I'm right, then not only will you lessen the visits of fleas, but you'll be giving your office a more personal, homely touch.

Hope this helps! Aloha!

Old 09-21-2002, 07:49 AM   #9
Veteran

Greenberry HB User

[This message has been edited by Greenberry (edited 09-24-2002).]

Old 09-24-2002, 12:59 AM   #10
(female)

Valhalla HB User
Question

Forgive me if this is a silly question: Would the perfume in scented mothballs (i.e. lavendar) sort of dilute the flea-killing power of the mothball itself?

Just one of those questions that I could never shake.

Aloha!

Old 09-24-2002, 06:03 AM   #11
Veteran

Greenberry HB User
I really don't know. If all of the other ingredients are the same and only perfume is added, I don't think it would matter.

Old 09-24-2002, 08:29 AM   #12
Inactive

plymouth HB User
Arrow

Hi,

Mothballs are an insecticide regulated by federal law.
It is illegal and dangerous to use an insecticide except as labelled. The fumes are toxic to our brains, especially for children, and should not be used in a vacuum cleaner bag.

~p

Old 09-27-2002, 06:40 PM   #13
(female)

Kathryn HB User
Thumbs down

If I'm not mistaken, fleas do bite and are very bothersome... what if you drag a few home with you when you carry your personal belongins home... like a coat or purse...

it can happen. Don't think I would like that too much.. I'd make a big complaint somewhere.

Kathryn
among the STARS!!!

Old 10-16-2002, 01:32 PM   #14

BGW HB User
If you do not mind smelling like a forest---Go to Wal-mart or K-mart and buy some cedar shavings---like what people buy in the pet section for pet bedding. Buy some Copenhagen snuff and cheese cloth. Cut the cloth about 3 1/2 inches wide and 7 inches long --- fold the cloth over so you have a 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 inch square---sew up 3 sides making a pouch.Fill the pouch 1/2 full with cedar--then put in a big pinch of Copenhagen and then fill the b pouch with more cedar--then sew the opened end shut.
Take some old panty hose and put the pouch ( now bag ) into the foot---cut off the panty hose and tie the open end. Continue up the leg of the panty hose--tying one end--insert a bag and tie up the other end.Make as many as you need.put these bags in your pockets ---in your desk at work or where ever you need to--these bags will last about 30 days.
BGW

Old 10-16-2002, 01:45 PM   #15
Inactive

plymouth HB User
Arrow

I have heard from some landscapers that you can eliminate fleas around the building without pesticides by applying tobacco shavings or diatomaceous earth to the soil.

Closed Thread