It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2002, 09:19 PM   #1

AddieNorris HB User
Unhappy Complex Mess...need advice...

Ok, here's my doosey...

Medical History:
25 y/o female
Smoker (4yrs)
Obesity (300 lbs)
Fibrocystic Breasts
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
Temporal Lobe Epilepsy w/Nocturnal Grand Mal Seizures (med controlled w/ Lamictal 150mg/BID absent 2yrs)
Hormone irregularities (Hirsuitism mild, but noticable)
Normal BP/HR

Family's History:
Some Jewish Ancestry
Thyroid Conditions
Diabetes (Adult Onset)
Various Heart Issues (HBP, Bypass, Pacemaker, Massive Heart Attack)

QUESTION....

I have recently completed my yearly physical and got my blood test results back today. Everything was normal but two things. Those were that I had ALOT of iron in my blood (it was a VERY dark Red color)and I also had a platelet count of 569. The lady couldn't tell me much, but she did tell me that 140-400 was a normal range and that these were on the "Abnormally High" side. Given all this other mess I've got going for me health-wise, could anyone tell me what this might mean and could it have anything to do with the other conditions I have? A friend of mine told me that I should get checked for OVARIAN CANCER because of my PCOS and hormone chaos and now having this high platelet count and said she read an article about it being a strong indicator of early-onset ovarian cancer! Am I jumping to conclusions? She's got me scared. I want some honest answers and I don't have any insurance to go to the doctor's. My work paid for the physical as part of the pre-employment process. If anyone could offer anything I would greatly appreciate it, it's got me nervous and frankly my doc isn't the least bit helpful without flashing an insurance card in his face.

Sincerely,

Addie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2002, 11:22 AM   #2
Inactive

SnowyLynne HB User
You maynot want to hear this,but get your weight under control.Since you have type 2 diabetes that can help greatly by losing weight,same with the blood pressure.Thyroid is controled with meds,as with the B/P.There are free clinics you can go to to get started until you have a job&an Ins.card..Good luck.....

------------------
SnowyLynne

Closed Thread