It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2002, 07:48 AM   #1

carolp99 HB User
Post diverticulitis or not

Had a colonoscopy last week which did show pockets in the colon and some inflamation and the Dr gave me info on diverticulitis. But I'm afraid that there may be something else wrong. I'm not normally a worry wart, but there is something going in my body that is not normal. I had been having lower abdominal pains for a few months and lower back pain also. My gyn sent me to have tests done and a bladder infection was ruled out, hence the colonoscopy. I've also been experiencing being lightheaded, very,very tired. Cancer is very prevelant in my family. Do these symptons sound familiar to anyone?

Old 10-29-2002, 09:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
The lower abdominal pains (particularly on the left side, though mine were on the right) are consistent with diverticulitis. I have heard of others who have the pain radiate to the back also.

Being very tired is how I felt when it ended up I had VERY infected diverticulosis. Now, what is being done about your inflamation? (I'm not sure whether that necessarily means infection.)

If you don't get more responses here, or if you have not already done so, also post your question either in the "Bowel disorders" or Digestive disorders" boards. There are a couple of real experts down there (I'm not sure they always read posts here, though.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2002, 10:50 AM   #3
Inactive

SnowyLynne HB User
My hubby has Diverticulitis,when the pain starts he gets antibiotics for It.After DX,even stress can cause It to act up.Be careful of what you eat too.My hubby can eat most anything,but peanuts.

Old 10-29-2002, 10:59 AM   #4

carolp99 HB User
Thank you so much for the prompt help with my question. I think that what I really wanted to know is if it is diverticulitis or something more serious. When I read that the pain was usually in the left side and my pain is all across my lower abdomen and radiates to my lower back. Does this sound familiar to any of you? Again thanks to all that replied.

Old 10-30-2002, 03:16 AM   #5
Super Sarah

Talking

Hi,

If its any help, I have just been diagnosed with diverticulitis about two days ago. Went to the ER with severe abdominal pains and was given an emergency scan of my abdomen, followed by a colonoscopy. This showed inflammation of my large intestine generally and inflammed diverticula pockets. My bloods showed a raised white cell count and sed rate, so I was sent home with antibiotics and was also given an anti-inflammatory pain shot.

Although the pain I had was at the lower left of my stomach (Left Iliac Fossa), it is not uncommon to have pain all across your lower stomach either. Pain can be referred. You could also have back pain and stomach pain together because of the nerves. The nerves travel from your spine and go around your stomach too. It is more common to have lower left stomach pain, as this is where your descending colon runs and where your sigmoid colon, rectum and anus are. This is the most common place to find diverticula pockets.

Basically, you can have inflammation without infection, so you may not have needed antibiotics. If however, you have stomach pains, possibly some diarrhea and a fever, then this probably means that you have infection with the inflammation as I did and will need antibiotics to clear it.

Try not to worry too much. The colonoscopy did show inflammation and diverticula in your bowel, so it is highly likely that this is the cause of your stomach pains rather than anything more sinister.

If you have a lot of gas, I would suggest that you start a Probiotic supplement. You can eat live yogurt , as this contains Lactobacillis, the good bacteria that lives in your gut. Also, you need to avoid constipation, so you should consider starting Metamucil twice daily or Citrocil wafters. Try also to eat a good diet and avoid nuts or things that could get stuck in the pouches and cause you stomach pains and infection again.

Hope this helps?

Closed Thread