It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2002, 07:35 PM   #1
(male)

unhealthy HB User
Post Is cancer genetic?

I was just wondering if cancer is genetic? I dont smoke and I would hate to think that im eating all this nasty tofu for nothing. I mean, If I cant prevent it, why not eat chicken skins and fat back for every meal. (Those of you that dont know what fatback is, its a giant slab of pure fat that is connected by a small string of something)We eat it in the south

Old 09-26-2002, 08:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User
Talking

Cancer is only partly genetic. If you have a family history of it then you are more likely to get it, but you can reduce your chances of getting it by eating a healthy diet, not smoking, etc..... Plus, why wouldn't you want to eat healthy just for the sake of eating healthy? If you start eating all of those fatty foods and smoking, you are going to dramatically increase your chances of getting other diseases such as heart disease and diabetes. And I believe that heavier people have a higher cancer rate. I have cancer in my family, but that doesn't necessarily mean that just because it is in my family that I am definitely going to get it. I am just pre-disposed to it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2002, 04:35 AM   #3
(male)

unhealthy HB User
So much effort must be put into being healthy. I guess you are right about the foods. Why is it that nothing healthy tastes good. Except apples. I like Apples.

Sigh

Old 09-27-2002, 12:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LOL, tell me about it! Salad tastes good though. But wait, I put bacon bits and cheese and a ton of salad dressing on it. Ok, scratch that. I've heard that chocolate can be good for you. But oh yeah, that can cause problems too. OK, scratch that too. I guess the whole point is that too much of anything, even a "healthy" food, is not good. I mean, eat too much salas and you could get stomach problems, eat too many eggs get high cholesterol, etc....

I actually just came back from a visit with my allergist, and I am not too happy. He doesn't know what else to do with me to control my allergy symptoms, and he wants me to lose weight, so he has decided to put me on a yeast free, grain free, dairy free, sugar free diet for 2 weeks. So in other words I will just be eating lean meats and fish, vegetables, and some fruits (bananas, pears, grapefruits and pineapple are the only fruits allowed). He says people have lost as much as 17 pounds in 2 weeks on this diet. I am very nervous about it because I don't know if I can do it, but I am sure as heck going to give it a try. I actually don't mind eating healthy, but this is going to be a really radical change for me. I have not yet figured out what I am going to eat for breakfast! Fruit, I guess!

I mean, I guess the foods we eat really do have an effect on our health. But I actually don't want my dr to be right about this, because if I do it for 2 weeks and I don't feel any better, I can tell him to take this awful diet and shove it! But I am going to be optimistic. I'm going to lose weight and it is not going to be good. I'm going to do well on it because I am going to stick to it. I have to try.

What I want to know is this: why do illnesses always have to have an underlying cause? Why can't I just be sick without it being caused by something else?

Old 09-28-2002, 10:52 AM   #5
(male)

unhealthy HB User
what is a lean meat? Is bacon a lean meat? Im mean, its not very thick or anything.

Old 09-28-2002, 11:50 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

No, sorry to have to tell you this, but bacon is not a lean meat. Lean meat has little or no fat. Bacon certainly has fat! (but that is what makes it sooooo good!)
I think you can get reduced fat bacon though. Pretty much all varieties of meat come lean. Just go to your supermarket and look for the meat with the least amount of fat. You can get lean hamburger meat, lean steak, etc... If you can actually SEE the fat in the meat, then it is not lean!

If we were speaking about a very "lean" person, that would mean that he is very physically fit, without much fat on him! The same goes for meat! That's the best way I know to describe it!

Old 09-28-2002, 12:29 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by unhealthy:
what is a lean meat? Is bacon a lean meat? Im mean, its not very thick or anything.
The leanest meat is turkey breast, I believe. Chicken is also is pretty lean. Otherwise, lean meat would mean cutting off all visible fat and not much marbling of fat within the meat.

Most fish is also lean, and the fish that is not lean (like salmon) has a good fat in it.

Old 09-28-2002, 01:27 PM   #8
(male)

unhealthy HB User
Im gonna try purple's diet, tho I dont think fruits and this strange"lean" meat you speak of is enough to sustain anyone.

can you eait unlimited amounts of these ffruits?> Or only small quantaties?

Old 09-28-2002, 02:10 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

You say that you actually WANT to try this diet that I am doing? I am doing it because I have no other option. I actually spent 2 hours crying hysterically this morning because I am so nervous and upset about this new diet and everything else that is going with my health. My doctors are at their wit's end with me. My ophthalmologist does not know what to do with me anymore, and either does my allergist. That is why he is making me try this diet. He wants to see if it could possibly be any of the foods that I am eating that are making me sick.

Well if you really want to try it, I'll give you the entire list of foods and restrictions:

DRINK ONLY WATER OR SELTZER - 8 to 10 glasses per day. The water is best bottled -- tap water is OK.

Eat only the following foods: on a 5 day rotation or eat a good variety as much as possible. They are to be purchased fresh or frozen. They may be eaten raw or cooked. Broil, boil, bake, fry or roast, but use no seasonings or oils. Sea salt or Diamond Crystal Roack Salt may be used if you are not on a sodium restricted diet. No Charcoal grilled foods. Only used fresh green herbs - no onion or garlic.

1) Lean Meats (beef, veal, lamb, pork, etc...)
2) Poultry (turkey, chicken, duck, cornish hen, etc...)
3) Fish (no shellfish)
4) Vegetables listed below:

Asparagus
Broccoli
Carrots
Cauliflower
Celery
Chicory
Escarole
Ocra
Parsley
Radish
Young String Beans
Squash - Summer, Zucchini
Watercress
Spinach
Turnip Greens
Mustard Greens
Collards
Kale
Chard
Alfalfa Sprouts

Any green leafy vegetable may be added. (i.e. lettuce)

Fruits: you may have 2 portions daily: 2 bananas or 1/2 pineapple or 2 grapefruits, as much lemon as needed, or 2 pears.

NOTE: None of the following are allowed:
Eggs, sugar, sugar substitutes, sugarless gum, toothpaste (use baking soda), vitamins, medications (unless prescribed by a dr). You may subtract from the diet but you must not add.

If you have an allergic reaction or withdrawl symptom please try the following: One alka-seltzer gold with water OR one teaspoon of baking soda with 7oz of water.

NO BREAD NO POTATOES NO GRAINS NO MILK PRODUCTS

That is the entire diet. I posted it exactly as it appears on the sheet that my dr gave me. Sounds fun, huh? I am not allowed to eat ANY other foods other than what is posted. I've tried a salad of mixed greens and some of the other vegetables posted, and as a dressing I put on some lemon juice (not too muchmor your tongue will be puckering!) and sea salt (again, not too much). It's not too bad. Today my diet has consisted of this:
Breakfast - 1 banana, 1 pear
Lunch - salad, 1 chicken patty (I bought it from the store - it had parsely and some other green herbs in it, was not breaded, and I think it was baked. It was pretty good)
Dinner - ?
Snack - ?

I am only doing this for 2 weeks and then he will probably start to add some things like eggs and potatoes or some other starches. But these are going to be the longest 2 weeks of my life.

That's about it. Yummy.

Oh, and does anybody have any idea what the heck "young string beans" are? I never knew there were young and old ones!

Good luck and let me know if you decide to try it!

Elyse

[This message has been edited by purple2067 (edited 09-28-2002).]

[This message has been edited by purple2067 (edited 09-28-2002).]

Old 09-29-2002, 08:09 AM   #10
(male)

unhealthy HB User
okay, Ill try it tommorrow, right after I have this yummy chineese food. So mondays the day. It might be hard for you to stick with your diet there... Actually, it will be really hard to stick with your diet, but you can do it.

Good Luck!

Old 09-29-2002, 11:26 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Talking

Thanks. It is going to be really difficult, but it is only for 2 weeks. If at the end of 2 weeks I don't feel any better, then he is not going to make me do it anymore. And even if it does work, he will probably add some carbs to it. This is just for a total cleansing. However, I did call him this morning and leave a message with the answering service because I am hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) and he knows about that, but some hypoglycemics can survive on just protein because it eventually turns into a sugar, but I think I need some carbs because I am very very lightheaded and dizzy, and I am hungry all of the time. I just don't feel good. Even some brown rice or a potato once or twice a day would be good enough (I hope). But he says no, he wants me off of all carbs. YOU LUCKY DOG, YOU ARE GETTING TO EAT CHINESE FOOD! That's OK, for my "last meal" I had Italian, and then I went out and got a Dunkin Donuts Vanilla Bean Coolata and some M&Ms. Mmmmmmmmmm. I went out with a bang.

Old 09-30-2002, 03:12 PM   #12
(male)

unhealthy HB User
DAY 1!
Well Ive started your diet!
Breakfast=nothing
Lunch= bannana
Dinner= Planning on having salmon fillet, collards(boiled) and a heaping side of steamed baby ocra.

Whats the deal with not being able to eat grilled foods? I cant find any microwavable fish that isnt grilled. Everything is grilled! STOP THE GRILLING!!!

So much green stuff. Im eating more vegetables in a day, then I am in a week. At the same time, Im eating less in a day then I did in an hour. STOP THE INSANITY!

Other than having to catch myself b4 I pick up a grape or having the urge to devour that hamburger, Im doing okay. I never noticed how much food I randomly picked up while roaming the house.

Hey purple! How you holding up?

Old 09-30-2002, 08:57 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

I haven't tried to buy pre-cooked fish in the store. My mom has been making it for me. (she makes really great salmon. It's probably not 100% diet food, cause she uses seasonings, but I don't care)

I'm not doing too well. I'm missing all of my "normal" foods very much. I am absolutely panicking. I am so depressed and angry. I am mad at my dr for making me do this. I have spoken with him a few times since I started it, and it seems that he doesn't care that I am unhappy and feel sick from it. He says I have to stick with it. He is unwilling to budge on the carbs. I am lightheaded all the time, and dizzy, and I feel like I want to throw up. Today I called my dr and he wasn't in, so I spoke with the nutritionist in his office (we call her the "witch dr" because she really does think that she is a dr, and she is a real witch".) She seems to think that it is GOOD that I am feeling like this. GOOD????? I think not. She says that if I didn't have these symptoms, then he wouldn't be able to help me. But since I have these symptoms, he can help me. What the HELL does that mean?? HELLO??? ANYBODY would have these symptoms on this diet! I spoke with my ophthalmologist today (his office is my second home, and he and I have sorta become friends, so I can talk to him about these things) and he says he doesn't understand the purpose of this diet. If a DR doesn't understand it, how am I supposed to???? I really don't know what the purpose of it is, other than cleansing my body and making me miserable. Tomorrow I am calling him and telling him that if he does not add some carbs, (even a cup of brown rice would do fine) then I am stopping this insanity and going back to eating normally. My regular internist (this dr is an allergist) has a nurse practicioner in his office who has offered many times to help me work out a diet plan, and I just may take her up on it.

You know, perhaps I wasn't too clear about how much food you are allowed to have. You can have as much meat as you want. (for dinner tonight I ate almost half of a chicken) and you don't just have to eat meat for dinner. You can eat it for breakfast (sounds gross, I know). You can have as much meat and vegetables as you want. Eat a whole chicken for lunch. have 2 steaks for dinner. etc.... Have a 1/2 pound of turkey breast for a snack. They recommended that I have a steak for breakfast.

Maybe I never told you that I am overweight, and use food as a comfort (it runs in the family!). I am working on that with a therapist, and we were going to start gradually phasing out some of my "comfort" foods in therapy. But then my Dr just decided that he was going to take EVERYTHING away at once, and he has just totally sent me into a panic! So right now, I am very depressed and anxious, and I cannot have the food that I want, which would be the one and only thing to help me calm down. I really can't do this. If you can continue it, you are a stronger person than me. I haven't seen or spoken with my therapist since I started this diet, because he was away. Boy did I miss him. I am usually FINE when I can't see him for a week or so. I am a very stable person 99% of the time. But I will be seeing him and hopefully also my psychiatrist tomorrow (I did at least get to speak with the psychiatrist over the weekend, who told me I could take a mild tranquilizer to get to sleep if I really need it). So the thing is, not only was I feeling sick BEFORE THIS but now I am still have everything that I had before, PLUS new symptoms, plus I am depressed and having anxiety attacks. I feel like I have no control over what I am eating. But anyway, I am going to stop writing now, because I am working myself up into a panic as I am typing!

Good luck, and let me know how you are handling it! (hopefully better than I am!)

Elyse

Old 10-02-2002, 08:42 AM   #14
(male)

unhealthy HB User
Im not as active as I usually am. Im kinda tired alot, and eating does not feel satisfying without bread, or potatoes. Im still sticking with it, but steak without bread stinks.

Old 10-02-2002, 08:49 AM   #15
(male)

unhealthy HB User
Heh, its really hard to stop myself from eating things that I like. You're doing good to stick with it this long. IM starting to have troubles myself. Do you really think your doctor is a quack? Maybe he'll let you have some carbs b4 2 weeks. If you're getting dizzy and all, sounds like ya need em.

Keep up the good work, good luck.

P.S. I really need to learn how to cook this meat better.

Closed Thread